Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Redlining temp

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Redlining temp

What problems can be caused by red lining the temp over 260' 4 times there was a crack in a coolant line so i limped it home and fixed it

Dont know yeah if that broke something else
Old 08-16-2016, 09:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

What?
Old 08-17-2016, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97 SE
Engine: 4.0L

My guess is he ran it over 260F, 4 times, and something cracked. Yes its not good for the engine to be that hot when it is suppose to run 200-215. Something could have broken and something could have not, depends on length of the overheating, and how new the parts are. I would be more worried about internals then cooling system problems. Pistons or Head Gasket, etc.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Hewittxj
What problems can be caused by red lining the temp over 260' 4 times there was a crack in a coolant line so i limped it home and fixed it

Let's try to translate this to English.

You are asking what kind of problems can occur when running your Jeep at temps over 260* multiple times. Was it that you were only able to drive it for a few minutes at a time, allowing it to cool down, then driving further? The idea of "limping" is to NOT allow the coolant to get that hot. If the gauge was reading that then chances are it was even hotter.

Well, for starters, how about some more details on your jeep. Year, mileage, mods, etc.

Are you experiencing more issues now? Or is this just an open-ended question that everyone gets to take shots at?

I think that we will all agree that it's never a good to see temps that high, especially multiple times, and if you don't have any problems now that you most likely caused damage that will surface eventually.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:31 AM

My 2.8L 1984 with approx. 190K miles will go to the redline border , but then drop down
to the normal range. Other borderline indication that it goes to the red in a turn, then
again return to normal. May be the gauge isn’t working properly. Just can figure it out.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

I also have to add, WHY DOESN'T ANYONE USE PUNCTUATION ANYMORE! Way too many threads started by people who don't use punctuation. It's getting annoying.

Santila, your post has nothing to do with what is going on with the OP but I will shed some light on the matter. Sounds like you have air in the system or a faulty temp sender. My guess would be that there is air in the system though.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:54 PM

in my english class no punctuation was taught (did i spell that right).
Redlining means to me that the engine temp gauge moves into the red zone and perhaps the engine is overheating but then may be the sender or the instrument is not working properly.
Thanks for the pointer.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Santila
My 2.8L 1984 with approx. 190K miles will go to the redline border , but then drop down
to the normal range. Other borderline indication that it goes to the red in a turn, then
again return to normal. May be the gauge isn’t working properly. Just can figure it out.

Start. Your. Own. Thread.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
What?
Originally Posted by jaydubz
My guess is he ran it over 260F, 4 times, and something cracked. Yes its not good for the engine to be that hot when it is suppose to run 200-215. Something could have broken and something could have not, depends on length of the overheating, and how new the parts are. I would be more worried about internals then cooling system problems. Pistons or Head Gasket, etc.
Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
Let's try to translate this to English.

You are asking what kind of problems can occur when running your Jeep at temps over 260* multiple times. Was it that you were only able to drive it for a few minutes at a time, allowing it to cool down, then driving further? The idea of "limping" is to NOT allow the coolant to get that hot. If the gauge was reading that then chances are it was even hotter.

Well, for starters, how about some more details on your jeep. Year, mileage, mods, etc.

Are you experiencing more issues now? Or is this just an open-ended question that everyone gets to take shots at?

I think that we will all agree that it's never a good to see temps that high, especially multiple times, and if you don't have any problems now that you most likely caused damage that will surface eventually.

I thought he was breaking out in a Pontiac Tempest @ 260' tried 4 different times and couldn't hook up. Something happened to the cooling system and called it a day.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:30 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Overheating can cause a cracked or warped head. A cracked or warped head doesn't seal up properly against the block, potentially allowing coolant into the oil where it eats the bearings or allowing exhaust into the coolant system where it boils it and causes additional overheating issues and general mayhem in the cooling system. Severe overheating can cause other internal parts to warp or break.

Is it running okay now that you have fixed it? Is it making any strange new noises? I would drive it and keep an eye on it for symptoms of a head or head gasket issue. It might also be a good idea to send off an oil sample for analysis after you drive it a while to make sure coolant isn't getting into your oil. If you do have a head issue, it will cost you about $500 to $600 to replace it yourself, considerably more if someone else does it for you. But if you have a head issue and ignore it, you will end up needing an overhaul of the entire motor.

Next time don't limp it home. If you're going to own a teenage car, you ought to have a roadside assistance program. If you don't already have roadside assistance with your insurance, buy a AAA membership so you can get a tow home next time something like this happens.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:07 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
I also have to add, WHY DOESN'T ANYONE USE PUNCTUATION ANYMORE! Way too many threads started by people who don't use punctuation. It's getting annoying.

Santila, your post has nothing to do with what is going on with the OP but I will shed some light on the matter. Sounds like you have air in the system or a faulty temp sender. My guess would be that there is air in the system though.
This?
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2016, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
This?
Exactly