Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rebuilding 242 Need Expert Help PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Rebuilding 242 Need Expert Help PLEASE!

I'm rebuilding my 242 transfer case. I've gotten the cover off of it, and found that the main noise I was hearing was a stretched chain. It was so stretched it just fell right off of the gears.
I started cleaning the insides up, all the oil and gunk.
So far I've found a little damage and I'm wondering how bad it is and if I need to replace these parts or if they are fine.

This is the damage in the case from what looks like the chain dragging against it.
Is this superficial or do I need to replace this part of the case?

This is the front output gear, and the teeth look a little damaged. Again, do these look fine or do I have to replace it? It looks like the ends were slightly ground down from wear.

I will be updating this as I get more parts separated. So any help will be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

The images don't show it being structurally damaged beyone use.. however, take a look at the bottom part of the outer half (would be top in first pic).. i'v seen them so thin the chain actually ate through and dumped the fluid out.

The gear.. I'd make sure to deburr it well so no metal came come off and into the fluid/pump/bearings.

Clean that pump and screen real well.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by OverlandZJ
The images don't show it being structurally damaged beyone use.. however, take a look at the bottom part of the outer half (would be top in first pic).. i'v seen them so thin the chain actually ate through and dumped the fluid out.

The gear.. I'd make sure to deburr it well so no metal came come off and into the fluid/pump/bearings.

Clean that pump and screen real well.
Looked at both the top and bottom of the case half. There are some more drag marks, but it doesn't look very deep. I'm planning on replacing the filter just because it's like $3 so might as well.
Here are 2 more photos.
In the first photo I'm wondering about the round stand off part. How much taller should that be? Will its being ground down not keep things in place like they should be? Thanks for the help.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ch45x7
In the first photo I'm wondering about the round stand off part. How much taller should that be? Will its being ground down not keep things in place like they should be?

Good question.. I'm not sure what the raised piece might do. However, look at the rib just next to it, it doesn't appear to have had much ground from it.. I'd bet that piece also hasn't been ground down much either as it's on the same path as the chain.

If it were mine and I didn't have another outer half I'd be tempted to run it.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by OverlandZJ
Good question.. I'm not sure what the raised piece might do. However, look at the rib just next to it, it doesn't appear to have had much ground from it.. I'd bet that piece also hasn't been ground down much either as it's on the same path as the chain.

If it were mine and I didn't have another outer half I'd be tempted to run it.
Thanks for the help/advice. I think I'm going to run it. If it does break another half can always be ordered later. Now that I know how to take it apart it should be easy to replace if I need to again.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:08 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

How hard was it to take apart?.. I am thinking of opening mine up... Never cracked one open.. Please post more pics..

Thanks,
Ant..
Old 03-10-2014, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ant.
How hard was it to take apart?.. I am thinking of opening mine up... Never cracked one open.. Please post more pics..

Thanks,
Ant..
Youtube has plenty of vid's on this, most with SYE install.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ant.

Thanks,
Ant..
Once I had the right tools it wasn't too hard. Keep in mind that this is removed from my XJ, I'm not trying to work on it while it's still attached.
Tools you will need for sure: Thin 2" snap ring pliers, strong 2" lock ring pliers, and I bought a 3 jaw puller from harbor freight. Other than that, good sockets and an 18" breaker bar to get bolts off, some flat head screw drivers to pry the case apart.

Go slow and keep things organized.

I checked YouTube for videos, and there are a lot about installing a SYE but not any that were helpful in just pulling the whole thing apart.
I found the field service manual online and used another persons post on another forum to help me so far.

Oh yeah...LOTS of break clean!

I will try to remember to get photos as I put it together, then I can reverse them to show how it's done.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:16 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ch45x7
Once I had the right tools it wasn't too hard. Keep in mind that this is removed from my XJ, I'm not trying to work on it while it's still attached.
Tools you will need for sure: Thin 2" snap ring pliers, strong 2" lock ring pliers, and I bought a 3 jaw puller from harbor freight. Other than that, good sockets and an 18" breaker bar to get bolts off, some flat head screw drivers to pry the case apart.

Go slow and keep things organized.

I checked YouTube for videos, and there are a lot about installing a SYE but not any that were helpful in just pulling the whole thing apart.
I found the field service manual online and used another persons post on another forum to help me so far.

Oh yeah...LOTS of break clean!

I will try to remember to get photos as I put it together, then I can reverse them to show how it's done.

That would be great, More pics the better.. I will check out some of the videos on youtube and see what I can find...

Thanks,

Ant...
Old 03-20-2014, 03:35 PM

So another quick question...The main shaft that goes through the case, should/can there be any side to side play in that? Keeping in mind that the back case half is off.
I'm wondering because I'm trying to decide if I need to try to tear it down further to replace the front input bearing or if a slight amount of movement is acceptable.