Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear wiper issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Rear wiper issues

So the rear wiper started to struggle more and more to wipe when we would get heavier snow build up on the rear window till it failed. It would then only move a little bit after sitting for a while and that was it.

Called Oriley's and ordered a Rear Wiper motor for for the 96 Jeep Cherokee. Removed the wailed rear wiper motor and checked the 4 wires at the plug.

Tan = 12 when ignition is on (other side of plug comes out Tan)
Greyish brown with Red Stripe = 12v when wiper switch is on (Other side of plug comes out Grey)
Black with Yellow Stripe = 12v when washer is engaged (Other side of plug is Brown)
Black connected with Multi-meter to good ground = tone (Other side of plug is Black)

Cardone Rear wiper 40-436

1st Motor = nothing but clicking to engage motor but no movement.

Ordered a second motor and waiting for it to arrive

2nd Motor sounded like it turned, then smoke started pouring off it.

I used to sell Cardone when I worked for Bumper to Bumper 22 years ago and remember a high failure rate but needed to ask, am I missing something simple? Do I really have this bad of luck? LOL

Thanks for your time and have a great day!

Old 02-26-2019, 10:44 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

I have two Haynes' and on Chilton's manual giving me different colors.
try connecting t straight to the power from the battery for verification of both(/all three motors).
Old 02-26-2019, 10:48 PM

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm going with the one Chinese factory that makes every brand theory.

Auto parts ain't what they used to be.
Back when I was a kid you could roll up to a NAPA and get a better than OEM part and a knowledgeable counter guy.

Neither exists anymore.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:59 PM

Yeah isn't that the truth.

Seems like I can only find one manufacturer and they are only remanufactured parts.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:59 PM
gat

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L L6 PowerTech (stock)

Try going to a salvage yard or junk yard.

If you don't have a manual for your model, then try your local library for the wiring diagram.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:34 PM

The colors change at then plug and those wires match each wire that is on theo motors. What I don't like is how everything is sealed up and painted black so you cannot track where the wires go on the new motor.

Either way 4 wires that have 4 characteristics ground, 12v account, 12v wiper, and 12v washer. I have tested each wire in the harness to make sure they have the voltage when they re supposed to or if they are the ground.

Just frustrated with 2 bad remanufactured wiper motors in. Row. Unfortunately with the winter up here, trying to get out to a jeep in a salvage yard will be a pain. LOL
Old 02-28-2019, 02:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

If you got the time, you can try what I did. What I did was take my not moving motor and disassembled it on the advice here the grease probably was hardened. I could hear it wanting to move when I had it out and in my hand plugged in. Well the grease was hardened but also what I found is contacts were tarnished black and rust deep down in windings. I degreased every part and used a dremel with wire wheel and polished every piece of metal inside. I don't know the name of part that rotates but that was corroded too, just polished til bright all metal everywhere.. Once you get it out you will see some folded over tabs holding the motor to the gear section, that's where it comes apart. I wish I would have taken pics after I did it, but I didn't think it was going to work. You can ride that motor arm like a ride at disneyland now. I did this quite a few years ago and it still runs strong. Worth a shot if you want to tinker with it.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts
Year: 1995 RHD

Originally Posted by Oswalla
If you got the time, you can try what I did. What I did was take my not moving motor and disassembled it on the advice here the grease probably was hardened. I could hear it wanting to move when I had it out and in my hand plugged in. Well the grease was hardened but also what I found is contacts were tarnished black and rust deep down in windings. I degreased every part and used a dremel with wire wheel and polished every piece of metal inside. I don't know the name of part that rotates but that was corroded too, just polished til bright all metal everywhere.. Once you get it out you will see some folded over tabs holding the motor to the gear section, that's where it comes apart. I wish I would have taken pics after I did it, but I didn't think it was going to work. You can ride that motor arm like a ride at disneyland now. I did this quite a few years ago and it still runs strong. Worth a shot if you want to tinker with it.
I took mine apart and got it running freely. I was recording a video of it moving then it went clunk. One of the brush mounts had come free and the commutator took a big hit. eBay for a used motor for me.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I don't know the name of part that rotates but that was corroded too,
Commutator, the brushes ride on it. (if they are there and the spring still works). I'll neatly always "autopsy" a dead electric motor. Some new tools come with a second set of brushes. Some have exterior access to them also. Also some have a fuse in there, finding that is how I got my Bendix 9 Anti-lock breaks working.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
Commutator, the brushes ride on it. (if they are there and the spring still works). I'll neatly always "autopsy" a dead electric motor. Some new tools come with a second set of brushes. Some have exterior access to them also. Also some have a fuse in there, finding that is how I got my Bendix 9 Anti-lock breaks working.
Yeh that spins and contacts magnets lining the inside of housing. Also one of those magnets were loose and floating, I just glued it back on as it appeared to be just glued not fastened in anyway. It's been awhile but there could have been a fuse in there.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Also one of those magnets were loose and floating, I just glued it back on as it appeared to be just glued not fastened in anyway. .
Good point on the magnets.Factory might use a daub of glue that leaves a little space around it. If water freezes in there it will pop the magnet off. When that happened on my micro-hydro unit I got it nice and clean and made sure the JB weld went to the edges.