Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Window Manual Regulators

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: '99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Question Rear Window Manual Regulators

First off, Please bare with me, as I'm new to posting here. Hopefully I placed this post in the correct location.

I have a 1999 XJ, Both Driver Rear and Passenger Rear (manual) window regulators have dry rotted/ broken plastic tubing (which the window cable moves through). I'd rather not go to the junk yard and replace these regulators with another set just as old. So here's my question... If I were to order NEW power window regulators for both my doors and simply change out the powered motor for my old still in good working condition manual window mechanism, would it work? I'm also not interested in converting my windows to powered windows at this time. I have yet to find a new manual window regulator direct replacement for my jeep. Dorman does not offer one at this time. Please let me know if you need further clarification. Any guidance is completely appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
ijeeep (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 04:11 PM

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Year: 95

Pictures would help a little. Also unless you're restoring it for the Concourse De elegance you don't have to use factory tubing. That opens a lot of options.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:35 PM

I’ll get a pic
Old 03-02-2021, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Blueshtbox
First off, Please bare with me, as I'm new to posting here. Hopefully I placed this post in the correct location.

I have a 1999 XJ, Both Driver Rear and Passenger Rear (manual) window regulators have dry rotted/ broken plastic tubing (which the window cable moves through). I'd rather not go to the junk yard and replace these regulators with another set just as old. So here's my question... If I were to order NEW power window regulators for both my doors and simply change out the powered motor for my old still in good working condition manual window mechanism, would it work? I'm also not interested in converting my windows to powered windows at this time. I have yet to find a new manual window regulator direct replacement for my jeep. Dorman does not offer one at this time. Please let me know if you need further clarification. Any guidance is completely appreciated.
My condolences. I feel your pain. I kept the shift **** and a few others parts from my fist/favorite Cherokee and just moved them to every Cherokee after that. Congratulations on scoring one with a manual transmission 👍
Old 03-03-2021, 12:00 PM

I stole a picture off google that represents (close enough) the issue with the parts of the regulator.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:14 PM

Iirc that regulator is for a two doon.
Anyways, since my door panel is off for latch and linkage lubing I'll take some measurementd of the plastic tube. Let's see if we can figure out a replacement. It's main purpose is to keep the coily cable from laying directly in the dirt and crud that accumulates in the bottom of the door.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:13 AM

Yea sorry about the picture. I havent had time to pull panel again and get actual pictures of my regulator. But yes the plastic runners are the problem. Im going to try and go to Lowes or somewhere to search for some water line or some sort of durable plastic that would work but provide significant structure for the cable.
Old 03-04-2021, 10:50 AM

Yours is a 99. Dual window lifters. The plastic tube is more important in 97+ than it is in -97.
-97 use a single lifter and the plastic tube serves only as a guide and crud shield.