Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear washer inop... Pump is working.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear washer inop... Pump is working.

So I have this new to me 2000 Classic. since I've owned it, the rear washer has not sprayed. The pump seems to work fine, I look under the jeep, nothing dripping. look inside the jeep, nothing (that I can see) there either. Anyone have any ideas? Common places to look? I've searched but the threads I've seen have always seemed to be pump issues, mine runs. Any help would be great. <<-- wtf?! lol
Old 10-02-2013, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

If you are sure that the pump is working properly. Check the sprayer at the rear wiper to see if it's not clogged up with crud. I had mine do that.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

I've got the same problem (2001). I finally gave up on it other issues were more important. I couldn't believe that out of all problems, the rear squirts is what stumps me.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

It may be the check valve is corroded shut. You may want to access the check valve and remove it for inspection.

From the 2000 FSM:

Located at the highest point of the supply hose routing, beneath the liftgate opening upper header garnish moulding, the hose connects to a check valve. The check valve prevents washer fluid drain-back or siphoning from occurring. From the check valve, another single hose is routed through a grommet to the liftgate, where it is connected to a nipple that protrudes from the inside of the rear wiper motor output shaft bezel.

Check Valve R&R:

CHECK VALVE
(1) Remove the four screws that secure the liftgate opening upper garnish moulding to the upper liftgate opening reinforcement.
(2) Using a trim stick or another suitable wide bladed flat tool, gently pry the liftgate opening upper garnish moulding away from the upper liftgate opening reinforcement to release the snap clip retainers.
(3) Remove the garnish moulding from the upper liftgate opening.
(4) Disconnect the liftgate half of the washer supply hose from the barbed nipple of the rear washer system check valve.
(5) Disconnect the body half of the washer supply hose from the other barbed nipple of the rear washer system check valve.
(6) Remove the check valve from the vehicle.
(7) When reinstalling the check valve, be certain the valve is properly oriented within the system flow
(8) Reverse the remaining removal procedures to complete the installation.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by CCKen
It may be the check valve is corroded shut. You may want to access the check valve and remove it for inspection.

From the 2000 FSM:

Located at the highest point of the supply hose routing, beneath the liftgate opening upper header garnish moulding, the hose connects to a check valve. The check valve prevents washer fluid drain-back or siphoning from occurring. From the check valve, another single hose is routed through a grommet to the liftgate, where it is connected to a nipple that protrudes from the inside of the rear wiper motor output shaft bezel.

Check Valve R&R:

CHECK VALVE
(1) Remove the four screws that secure the liftgate opening upper garnish moulding to the upper liftgate opening reinforcement.
(2) Using a trim stick or another suitable wide bladed flat tool, gently pry the liftgate opening upper garnish moulding away from the upper liftgate opening reinforcement to release the snap clip retainers.
(3) Remove the garnish moulding from the upper liftgate opening.
(4) Disconnect the liftgate half of the washer supply hose from the barbed nipple of the rear washer system check valve.
(5) Disconnect the body half of the washer supply hose from the other barbed nipple of the rear washer system check valve.
(6) Remove the check valve from the vehicle.
(7) When reinstalling the check valve, be certain the valve is properly oriented within the system flow
(8) Reverse the remaining removal procedures to complete the installation.
This is good to know. To be honest, I never even knew that there was a check valve up there.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Default Rear Washer Check Valve

Cutaway view of rear washer check valve:

Name:  RearWasherCheckValve.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  16.8 KB

Before actually removing the check valve, unhook the supply hose from the valve and operate the pump to see if fluid comes out.

If you do find that the check ball is rusted in place you may want to place the check valve in a plastic container with enough "Evapo Rust" to cover it and let it sit for several hours and see if the rust desolves. I'm not sure you can buy new check valves (I haven't looked).

Evapo Rust works very well but it is slow acting. Available at O'reilly Auto Parts, and other auto parts stores.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:40 AM

Good info guys, thanks. Especially CCKen.
Old 04-07-2021, 06:49 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Thank you CCken this solved my issue! I know this thread is old but I posted a quick youtube video for anyone who might be struggling with this issue now:

Old 04-07-2021, 08:27 PM

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

https://www.mcmaster.com/check-valve...r-tube-id~1-4/