Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Washer Fluid Hose Routing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear Washer Fluid Hose Routing?

Can someone tell me the routing for the rear washer fluid hose?
1993 4Door Cherokee, Base model.

My pump works (I hooked up a piece of hose and it squirted fluid when the pump was activated), but the fluid isn't making it to the rear outlet.
I'm also not finding any drips on the ground, or wet carpet, to give me any sign of a leak. At least not one where the fluid is exiting the body. It could still be broken somewhere, or plugged.

Is it routed underneath somewhere? Through the body, via the rocker panels? Through the overhead, behind the headliner? Parts book shows that the pillars are different, RH side, between rear wiper equipped vs. non-rear wiper equipped vehicles.

I've removed the rear wiper arm, completely, as I hate those things. But I like the idea of being able to use the outlet for tailgaters. And, in the winter, I don't want fluid collecting somewhere in the body, only to turn into mold. (I live in the NW, so mold is/can be an issue.)
Old 07-01-2013, 02:31 PM

Year: 2000

Start off what side is your washer fluid tank located on? On the 89 model the tank is located on drivers side. The washer water line is routed with the wiring harness along the drivers side all the way back then goes over in the tail light harness to the upper passenger side of the hatch. When hatch is open there's two jumpers. Drivers side should be wiring and passenger side is washer hose.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Tank should be driver's side in '93. My hose also follows the same route. It actually passes by the passenger's feet sort of along the floor, then is fed along the top of the rocker. You can access it if you pop off the trim at the bottom of the door.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L

My '93 varies only in that the tank is on the passenger side. I assume it is routed as above but I only know that it enters the hatch on the passenger side.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by 89cherokee2gtmudy
Start off what side is your washer fluid tank located on? On the 89 model the tank is located on drivers side. The washer water line is routed with the wiring harness along the drivers side all the way back then goes over in the tail light harness to the upper passenger side of the hatch. When hatch is open there's two jumpers. Drivers side should be wiring and passenger side is washer hose.
Thanks!

Tank is on the passenger side (I think in '93 the ZJ has it mounted on the drivers side), in the hole behind the power distribution box and to the outboard of the evap can. Both hoses enter the wiring harness wrap and disappear. I was able to locate where the front feed line exits the wrap and passes through the firewall and I "think" I found the rear feed line entering the firewall just outboard of the clutch fluid reservoir.
(Seems a little strange to me, but it IS a Chrysler product. Not the first one I've owned.)

I'm going to pull the reservoir out and put a little air pressure to the lines. I should probably locate the check valve first though.

It's going to have to wait. I have NO idea how people live in the SE part of this country! It's 9:30 in the morning, here in OrEgon, 87 degrees with 65% humidity. This humidity SUCKS! Makes the 127 and 129 degree temps thev've been having in Death Valley look awfully inviting!
Old 07-02-2013, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pelican
My '93 varies only in that the tank is on the passenger side. I assume it is routed as above but I only know that it enters the hatch on the passenger side.
Thanks!

I don't think it "varies". I think the DS/PS tank mounting is ZJ/XJ.

The rear feed line makes quite the road trip entering the cockpit on the DS and then exiting on the PS.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:48 PM

Default Thanks to all!

I fingered it out. The rear feed hose passes through the firewall near the clutch fluid reservoir, then joins the aft running wiring harness. It runs, with the harness, under the door threshold trim panels on the DS of the vehicle to the point where the harness splits into DS & PS tail wiring. Then it runs up, and across, the back of the cargo area (wrapped with the PS tail wires). Then it exits the harness wrap and the body and enters the Tailgate.

My Factory Service Manual (Electrical) came in the mail today and in the DS aft harness routing illustration it even pointed out the hose. SWEET!

You just can't beat a REAL manual for this stuff!

105, with 38% humidity, outside right now. The testing can wait.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:25 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having this same issue. I can hear the pump, but no fluid is coming out anywhere.

I had my 1995 Cherokee worked on including repairs to the right side of the body. The shop removed the right fender. Before I took it in, the rear fluid worked fine. Now I just hear the motor whir and no fluid makes it to the back.

I'm not sure where to start other than take it back and make them tear in to it. I'm hoping to figure it out myself. Any thoughts on where to start? If the line was removed from the pump, wouldn't fluid be coming out under the engine? Anyone know exactly where the rear pump is? It sounds like it's under the reservoir. Thank you.