Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear upper shock bolts

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear upper shock bolts

I did a search on internet and several posts from this forum popped up relating to breaking the top bolts on rear shocks. They are old threads [a couple years or older] but nothing newer. Is this a problem you all have had and is it is common as the threads led me to believe? Everybody posting seemed to have busted the bolts off but sometimes I think people who have experience the problem post but people who haven't don't post. If the odds that I'll break the bolts are good I'll just have someone else do it. I had a fairly involved back surgery 6 mths. ago but I'm going stir-crazy and have to do something. I did all the easy stuff but I need to get involved in something requiring a little effort or I'm going to go nuts.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:03 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by colt44
I did a search on internet and several posts from this forum popped up relating to breaking the top bolts on rear shocks. They are old threads [a couple years or older] but nothing newer. Is this a problem you all have had and is it is common as the threads led me to believe? Everybody posting seemed to have busted the bolts off but sometimes I think people who have experience the problem post but people who haven't don't post. If the odds that I'll break the bolts are good I'll just have someone else do it. I had a fairly involved back surgery 6 mths. ago but I'm going stir-crazy and have to do something. I did all the easy stuff but I need to get involved in something requiring a little effort or I'm going to go nuts.
Does it happen? Sure. What does the underneath of your jeep look like? Tons of rust? Soak all your h/w in PB Blaster for a week before you do it, spray it twice a day, and remove any scale that you can before removing. I wouldn't worry about it unless you do break 'em, right now you're getting paranoid over nothing. They may just back out, they may not. Not hard to replace if they break, but inconvenient.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You will most likey break them, a shop will most likely break them. Its normal and a weak spot to get rid of. First, try to break all of them, second, after broken, get hammer and punch or neumatic hammer and smack the tacked bolt inside the frame till it breaks off. Get some of these http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php drop the bolt from the top, bolt them on, then bolt new shocks to these. Real easy and simple other than squezing under the axle
Old 03-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

buddy of mine bought theses, the work awesome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CHEROKEE-XJ-REAR-SHOCK-MOUNT-PLATES-HEAVY-DUTY-/201034124356?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3ACherokee&hash=item2ece914c44&vxp=mtr
Old 03-12-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my rear shocks. I soaked them in wd40 before I bought pb blaster about the day before. I kept hitting it every couple of hours and I would drive around hoping the movement might move the fluid along. The next morning I jacked the car up. I began to remove the bolts. I hear a high pitched noise and the bolts broke free on both sides. No damage. I got lucky I guess. I live in the Pacific Northwest not exposed to snow and salt. I scared to do it but I got lucky.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 300 Likes on 249 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Plenty of write-ups on the net for fixes if you do snap the bolts.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I just think its easier ans safer to replace with new hardware.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're in Michigan good luck not breaking them. I've done two Jeeps here in Indiana and broke nearly every bolt on both. The bolts where so rusted that they seized and couldn't be removed. PB Blaster wouldn't touch them but it's super easy to replace the bolts so I say go for it.