Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Skid Plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:49 AM
ACC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear Skid Plate

ALL:
My 1999 Cherokee (XJ) was built with the 'factory tow package' and also a rear 'factory -skid plate ' over the gas tank. I believe that these are two totally separate items and you can have one without the other. My last three XJ's didn't have the skid plate, and only one of them had a tow hitch which I never used. The tow hitch is nice to have just in case I need it, so that will probably stay, but I really do not do any 'off road' in the true Jeep fashion, so I'm thinking taking the skid plate off (at the very least). Any issues with removing this without affecting the tow hitch? Is it worth anything on Craig's list? Any thoughts?
Please let me know.
ACC
Old 05-22-2014, 06:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by ACC
ALL:
My 1999 Cherokee (XJ) was built with the 'factory tow package' and also a rear 'factory -skid plate ' over the gas tank. I believe that these are two totally separate items and you can have one without the other. My last three XJ's didn't have the skid plate, and only one of them had a tow hitch which I never used. The tow hitch is nice to have just in case I need it, so that will probably stay, but I really do not do any 'off road' in the true Jeep fashion, so I'm thinking taking the skid plate off (at the very least). Any issues with removing this without affecting the tow hitch? Is it worth anything on Craig's list? Any thoughts?
Please let me know.
ACC
You might have to remove the hitch to remove the skid plate, if it is bolted to the unirails as the hitch is. I'm not sure how the factory XJ skid plates are...the ones I've seen seem to go under the tank straps, which I would think means you have to drop the tank to remove it. I have one on my Cherokee from a Grand Cherokee (ZJ) and it bolts to the unirail over the tank.

If you do choose to remove it, I'm sure someone will buy it from you.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:03 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

YOU:

Yes, it's worth something to sell. However it's also a pain to remove. If you live anywhere with rust, removing a factory accessory is going to take hours; and it you want to put the hitch back on there's a good chance you'll need to purchase new hardware as the old stuff will probably disintegrate, snap, or strip.

Average value of a used XJ fuel tank skid: $50-$75

Cost to remove skid and reinstall hitch: $39 for nut strips with bolts + $11 shipping + 2-6 hours of your time.

Unless I had some other reason to pull the hitch off I wouldn't do it. Not worth it. Enjoy the extra piece of mind that being rear ended by a low car is much less likely to cause lethal damage.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:05 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
I'm not sure how the factory XJ skid plates are...the ones I've seen seem to go under the tank straps, which I would think means you have to drop the tank to remove it.
They fasten just like the ZJ skid, bolted to the frame.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by salad
YOU:

Yes, it's worth something to sell. However it's also a pain to remove. If you live anywhere with rust, removing a factory accessory is going to take hours; and it you want to put the hitch back on there's a good chance you'll need to purchase new hardware as the old stuff will probably disintegrate, snap, or strip.

Average value of a used XJ fuel tank skid: $50-$75

Cost to remove skid and reinstall hitch: $39 for nut strips with bolts + $11 shipping + 2-6 hours of your time.

Unless I had some other reason to pull the hitch off I wouldn't do it. Not worth it. Enjoy the extra piece of mind that being rear ended by a low car is much less likely to cause lethal damage.
All very true. Salad do you have a factory skid? Does it go under the tank straps?
Old 05-22-2014, 07:14 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty

All very true. Salad do you have a factory skid? Does it go under the tank straps?
I do not, but I've seen them. The only thing secured by the straps is the fuel tank.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

It's not worth the time or effort to remove it if you don't have to. You are not going to have any positive advantages removing it. You are better off to leave it especially if you have a plastic tank like my 98 does.