Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Shock Swap

Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 98 4.0 I6
Default Rear Shock Swap

just got some shocks to put in while doing rear brakes and new fuel pump....the upper shock mount with two small nuts...one broke while wrenching...should i drill it out and find something to replace...any opinions from firsthand experience what is best? thanks
Old 03-26-2011, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

also i am putting in 2 inch shackles in place of my rusted stocks... will i need to get a different size shock other than stock...
Old 03-26-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

lots of threads on this, search ' rear shock bolts ' Most people use a hammer and punch (air hammer works best) to knock off the old welded nuts from the "frame" then fish new grade 8, 3/8 x 1" bolts down and into the holes through the access holes near the shock mount. New 3/8 nuts (grade 8) and lock washers and you're done.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by jomps
also i am putting in 2 inch shackles in place of my rusted stocks... will i need to get a different size shock other than stock...
Stock length shocks are ok with a 2" lift shackle. Original rear springs? With the original (sagging) rear springs and 2" lift shackles you will be ~1" higher in back than stock, so stock length shocks are no problem.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DaddyCat
Stock length shocks are ok with a 2" lift shackle. Original rear springs? With the original (sagging) rear springs and 2" lift shackles you will be ~1" higher in back than stock, so stock length shocks are no problem.
i got original springs and they are sagging a bit... i also am going to put on the 2in spacers i got up front. just got stock shocks for the front as well...so would it be better to go ahead and get bigger shocks for front and back and replace the springs when the time comes...
Old 03-26-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by jomps
i got original springs and they are sagging a bit... i also am going to put on the 2in spacers i got up front. just got stock shocks for the front as well...so would it be better to go ahead and get bigger shocks for front and back and replace the springs when the time comes...
I think if you put 2" spacers in front with your 2" lift shackles in back your front will be 2" higher than the back, go measure your front and back wheel wells to the ground and see if I'm right. If it was my xj I would install the 2" lift shackles and new stock shocks, front and back and have a nice level cherokee untill I could afford new springs for the rear then install the spacers up front. It is my understanding stock length shocks are good up to a 2" lift.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/2-...estions-81464/
Old 03-27-2011, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DaddyCat
I think if you put 2" spacers in front with your 2" lift shackles in back your front will be 2" higher than the back, go measure your front and back wheel wells to the ground and see if I'm right. If it was my xj I would install the 2" lift shackles and new stock shocks, front and back and have a nice level cherokee untill I could afford new springs for the rear then install the spacers up front. It is my understanding stock length shocks are good up to a 2" lift.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/2-...estions-81464/
allright then...heres the plan...im keeping the stock shocks...will put in shackles to levout the rig... once i am ready to put spacers and the new shox up front i will find some new leaf springs
Old 03-27-2011, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

Stock shocks will work for a little while, but wont hardly last at all if you like to play with your jeep. Stock shocks are weak, get some jk rubicon shocks, work for 2-4" and ride nice.

And if you do decide to go that route, make sure you google "jk shocks on an xj" and read a thread or two.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

yeah thats what i read they dont last as long...im not yet ready to start wheeling too much yet...still working on everything mechanically...may wait to upgrade shox once i upgrade to a better lift system...thanks for the help