Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear shock bolts...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Smile Rear shock bolts...

I started tearing down the rear of my 2000 XJ and even after WD40ing them for a week i still broke all 4 upper shock bolts...
Now i need to redrill and tap them?
Although i have never done this..
so anyone got some detailed instructions to help me?
Old 09-11-2008, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by bmrrwolfe
I started tearing down the rear of my 2000 XJ and even after WD40ing them for a week i still broke all 4 upper shock bolts...
Now i need to redrill and tap them?
Although i have never done this..
so anyone got some detailed instructions to help me?

You have a few options here.

Redrill buy several 1/8 bits and drill all the way through. Buy a small extractor set and a handheld small torch for heat and attempt to extract them.

Or pull up your carpet in the rear. Cut 4 small holes (route I ended up taking after failing to be able to extract)

Post Referral
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showpo...4&postcount=19

I broke off the weld nuts and placed regular bolts in its place.

And used a Jam nut system. Seems to work ok. Since yours is newer I would atleast attempt to extract before hacking your floor up unless you plan on rhinoing the back and what not.

Have fun
Old 09-11-2008, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

I have a small torch, and a few 1/8" bits but ill go get 2 more, and look for an extractor kit.
Thanks!
Old 09-11-2008, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

First try to punch the welded nuts off. Sometimes you can get lucky and just knock them out from below and use new nuts/bolts. If you have a punch or huge screwdriver, use that to try to pound them up with a hammer.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:23 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by muddeprived
First try to punch the welded nuts off. Sometimes you can get lucky and just knock them out from below and use new nuts/bolts. If you have a punch or huge screwdriver, use that to try to pound them up with a hammer.

Not a good idea if he doesnt want to cut the floor in the back. Plus its a real PIA to put new nuts/bolts in with out a hole in the floor.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJ Stryker
Not a good idea if he doesnt want to cut the floor in the back. Plus its a real PIA to put new nuts/bolts in with out a hole in the floor.
There's an access hole next to my shock holes where you can get your hands in there. Does yours have that? I figured you could tape a nut to a wrench and fish it over in that hole and thread the bolt up through the bottom. This is what i had to do with my TJ, except i used the nut/tape/wrench trick through the frame and body behind the fender flare.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

I have small hands being only 5-5 and a 140 soaking wet. Maybe on a newer jeep on the 87 forget about it. That is a small HOLE lol.

He has a new Jeep let him try to extract first if that don't work then I would definitly consider your idea before cutting the floors. So your Idea is a great second choice lol.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:41 PM
CF Veteran

So this may sound stupid, and im a jeep noob, but ive never used an extractor... how does it work, and what do i do with it?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Drill hole.. Once you see the extractor you will kinda know what to do. But basically drill hole insert tip of extractor and turn out... It will grab on to the hole you drilled and with HEAT turn the broken off piece out of the nut. Pretty self explanatory once you pick them up. A set at sear will run ya 10-20 bucks. HTH

You could use Mudd's Idea but if you can't get a nut back there you will have to cut holes...
Old 09-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

I have punched out the weld nuts, taped a nut into the box end of a wrench and fished it up there. I've done this on newer and older XJ's a number of times. No reason to cut a hole in the floor.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

The extractor sounds easy enough, ill give that a try tonight or tomorrow morning and see what happens.
Thanks!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:05 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ
I have punched out the weld nuts, taped a nut into the box end of a wrench and fished it up there. I've done this on newer and older XJ's a number of times. No reason to cut a hole in the floor.
I attempted without much success. I was under an old 87 banging away with crap falling off the roof all over me sweating and cussing... you get the picture basically had no luck with punching them out. I have patched most of the floor in my truck anyway so It was an easy choice for me.

Nice to see ya over here IntrepidXJ... NAXJA getting to be too much for ya. Either way thanks for your Input.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

The extractor sounds easy enough, ill give that a try tonight or tomorrow morning and see what happens.
Thanks!
Go easy on it though. Don't break the extractor in the bolt.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

My recommendation on the extractor is.....not to use one. It's a good way to make a bad situation worse. I've tried them a few times, and they always broke off in the hole....then you have to drill through the hardened steel of the extractor.

Just my 2 cents
Old 09-11-2008, 06:19 PM
CF Veteran

alright when i get home, ill look under and see if i got the hole to fit the nut and wrench into and if so ill give that a whirl, if you guys think the extractor will break.
I guess it could be worse

Quick Reply: Rear shock bolts...