Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear passenger door window will not work, most of the time.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear passenger door window will not work, most of the time.

Whats the solution to fixing the passenger doors window? It works every once in a while, but most of the time the driver and passenger buttons do nothing? Now I know that the window motor is not shot because I have used the window before, but that was on a oddly hot day after a very cold week.

I am thinking that it is either an oxidized electrical contact somewhere in the switch or motor, or a piece of plastic is deformed somewhere which is why it only worked on a very hot day after a very cold week, but I could be wrong any suggestions?
Old 05-31-2010, 12:15 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 v6

mine does the same thing. it works when it wants to. I tested my power with a metter and its weird it gets the right power and after doing it a couple of time the volts drop to like 3v when its normally 12v. ill bewatching this thread
Old 05-31-2010, 12:42 PM

It's most likely your drivers window lock. There are known problems with these. Mine have gone out twice. There is a write up on how to disable the window lock switch to where the windows will always be unlocked. I'll see if I can find it.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 PM

Here's the post. This guy uses a paperclip to disable the window lock switch. Some people voiced their concerns. There are more permanent ways of disabling it i.e. splicing the wires together, using crimp caps/soldering...

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/win...working-13287/
Old 06-01-2010, 07:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

It's in the driver's door switch, Pull the switch out and check with a voltmeter on the backside terminals. There known to break down a lot, It's the most used switch in your car. Make sure you have power coming up to switch, and leaving each switch where there activated. (JY or E-bay for replacements) If everything is OK in master switch, (not loose,or corroded, oxidized) Then check the wires in the rubber sleeve between body and door. Common spot for wear. Think about how many times that door has been open/closed. And while your door is apart, Replace the clips on the locking rod mechanism. (there cheap, and become brittle with age) Beats doing it a few months down the road. And if you have the crappy 5.25" factory speaker in your door, It's a good time to replace them...........................................JMO !