Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear main seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear main seal leak

So my 99 XJ has a rear main seal leak,as well as a little bit of the oil pan gasket leaking. I know all together I can get the parts for about $40. I'm wondering with a busy schedule like mine if it's worth it to pay a shop to do it,and how much that will cost. I don't like to pay shops I prefer to do things myself because you never know if it was half assed or not. I'm fairly mechanically inclined if that helps any. (I changed the valve cover gasket already,it drips less after changing that). What's your alls thoughts?
Old 12-11-2015, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If you've already changed the valve cover gasket, and you're sure it's the RMS, then I vote DIY. Fairly simple and straightforward. Your schedule can't be any busier than mine, and I found time to do it. Don't know what a shop would charge, I'm guessing at least a couple hundred. There are many write ups and videos to watch so you have an idea of how involved it is.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by jay_sco
If you've already changed the valve cover gasket, and you're sure it's the RMS, then I vote DIY. Fairly simple and straightforward. Your schedule can't be any busier than mine, and I found time to do it. Don't know what a shop would charge, I'm guessing at least a couple hundred. There are many write ups and videos to watch so you have an idea of how involved it is.

Definitely,I've watched a few vids and think I'm inclined enough to do it right
Old 12-11-2015, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 165,00 Miles

The oil filter adapter leaking will make the RMS,Pan etc look like they are leaking because of the blow back. I had to do both of mine but I started with the adapter and it was the main problem. RMS barely leaking. Fixed it later since I cleaned the pan up and around the filter to see if either were leaking. If you do the pan I had great success with the Felpro gasket. The mounting studs and the small amount of RTV make it easy.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sandyman
The oil filter adapter leaking will make the RMS,Pan etc look like they are leaking because of the blow back. I had to do both of mine but I started with the adapter and it was the main problem. RMS barely leaking. Fixed it later since I cleaned the pan up and around the filter to see if either were leaking. If you do the pan I had great success with the Felpro gasket. The mounting studs and the small amount of RTV make it easy.

Thanks man I'll def keep that gasket in mind
Old 12-12-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the shop is familiar with Jeeps. If the shop quotes the removal of transmission to replace the RMS, then walk away.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:41 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Do this first please:

I'd be looking up ABOVE first, and VERIFYING the source of the oil leak YOURSELF.

Everybody, who doesn't own or have to pay for or perform your vehicle repairs, loves to poke their noggin UNDER the Jeep and come out bearing the false bad news that your RMS is leaking.

Many mechanics, friends, people on Jeep forums who can’t see your Jeep from where they’re at, and good old Uncle Bob seem to enjoy telling you it’s the rear main seal. Has a catastrophic ring to it, doesn’t it?

A simple leak at the back of the valve cover or other source could produce the same symptoms. You don’t need to be a mechanic to figure this out. If you have good eyesight and a dim flashlight, you’re good to go on your own. Don't jump on the RMS/oil pan gasket bandwagon right off the bat.

Almost any oil leak on your 4.0 is gonna drip from the RMS area for two simple reasons.

First off, the engine sits nose-up and any oil will run back to the RMS area. Secondly, the RMS area is also the lowest point on the engine. Simple physics and the old plumber's adage apply here. "$hit flows downhill".

Valve cover gasket, oil pressure sending unit, oil filter adapter seals and distributor gasket, in that order, have to be eliminated as possibilities first.

Revised 02-26-2013