Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear main bearing bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Rear main bearing bolt?

Hello,

Looking to pull off the oil pan and replace the rear main bearing seal. What size of socket head is required to remove the bolt holding the lower part of the bearing block? I'll also need to get a t-handle for the socket extension. Just want to have the right tools on hand before I start. Engine is the 4.0L.

Thanks, Larry

Last edited by AZLarry; 04-18-2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Engine data
Old 04-18-2009, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by AZLarry
Hello,

Looking to pull off the oil pan and replace the rear main bearing seal. What size of socket head is required to remove the bolt holding the lower part of the bearing block? I'll also need to get a t-handle for the socket extension. Just want to have the right tools on hand before I start. Engine is the 4.0L.

Thanks, Larry
There really are only two "special" tools you need for that job - a torque wrench (for the main bearing cap screws and the oil sump screws. Actually, two torque wrenches. Torque specs from FSM are on my site in the Tech Archives...) and a brass rod about 3/16" in diameter to push the upper seal out.

Be sure to start soaking the new seal in clean engine oil before you tear everything down - it will save you loads of trouble. The "soak" oil can just be poured into the engine once you button it all back up.

Keep steel tools away from the ground surfaces on the crankshaft. If you don't, you're running the risk of suddenly needing to replace the crank...
Old 04-19-2009, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Thank you 5-90.

I replaced the oil filter adapter o-rings and valve cover gasket today.

Most likely I'll tackle the rear main seal and oil pan gasket next weekend. Also rebuild the oil pump while I'm at it.

I was hoping to use my ramps to lift the vehicle up to have space to move around. But if I need to dangle the front suspension to pull the oil pan it's going to get a little crowded under there.

Thanks, Larry
Old 04-19-2009, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 5-90

Be sure to start soaking the new seal in clean engine oil before you tear everything down - it will save you loads of trouble. The "soak" oil can just be poured into the engine once you button it all back up.
I recommend soapy Water cause the engine oil still binded up some tearing my new Rear main seal. Off to AZ to buy another one.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Originally Posted by AZLarry
Thank you 5-90.

I replaced the oil filter adapter o-rings and valve cover gasket today.

Most likely I'll tackle the rear main seal and oil pan gasket next weekend. Also rebuild the oil pump while I'm at it.

I was hoping to use my ramps to lift the vehicle up to have space to move around. But if I need to dangle the front suspension to pull the oil pan it's going to get a little crowded under there.

Thanks, Larry
You'll need to support it by jack-stands under the sub-frame, letting the axle hang for more pan removal clearance.
By the way, Welcome to CF from Dan in Tenn.!

Last edited by ol"blue; 04-19-2009 at 09:59 AM.