Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear leaf spring eye bolt issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear leaf spring eye bolt issues

Alright so im pretty sure the bolt is seized to the sleeve, would i be able to drill out the bolt? I am installing 2" shackles so I have a new bolt. Any other ideas??
Old 02-01-2017, 12:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

The front of the leafs or rear of the leafs? Im assuming rear if you're just installing shackles.

Those bolts are notorious for getting stuck, many times breaking off the welded nut inside the unibody. Your best bet it to spray some penetrating oil on it a couple times a day for the next couple days and let it soak in.

They are extremely stubborn, you'll definitely need a breaker bar. You could drill it out but you still have to worry about getting the threaded portion out of the body.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Lots of posts here on that. Heat the nut, if that doesn't work, get to work with a grinder and cut the spring away.

You really don't want to break that nut loose.

As for drilling it out.... if you have a high-quality super-duty 1/2" drill you could try it. You'll burn up most normal drills before you get that big thing drilled out.

Something I have thought about, but have not yet tried, is drilling into the spring down just barely into the bolt, then tapping the hole to accept a zerk fitting. Then put some penetrating oil in a grease gun and force it in there. Let soak. Repeat as needed until the penetrating oil starts seeping out the ends, copiously. Might just be easier than grinding the spring out.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:08 AM

Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

If you are replacing the springs, don't worry about the sleeve being stuck to it. Use a big breaker bar after soaking it with Kroil penetrating oil. I replaced the rear springs on my 94 Cherokee. Had to do same thing. 1/2 in impact would not turn the bolts. After soaking them for 2 nights, going out there and spraying it down before dinner. Then I used the long 1/2 in. breaker bar method and although they creaked a lot they came out.
You will need new rubber bushing assemblies 4ea. and you will have to get the front ones pressed in to the new springs. They will have new sleeves in them.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:21 AM

The bolt has a nut on the end, and it is not inside the body. I'll send a picture when I get home.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998

I agree with the new bushings. Don't think anyone would dream of doing this job and not changing them. They don't have to be pressed in though. I put mine on a block of wood and a small block on top ad hammered tapped them in. Wasn't hard.
As far as getting the bolt out just cut the spring off. Be careful. It's udder pressure and will jump at you. A LOT of pressure. I systematically cut away the steel. Used a Sawzall to trim off the rubber bushing, then grabbed the steel bushing inside with a pipe wrench. The leverage with the pipe wrench and a 3 foot pipe helped break free the bolt so it turned out of the nut. Then I cut the bolt and pulled it out. Upon inspection after, with Michigan road salt, the bolt and the sleeve had permanently become one.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Make sure you are turning the pipe wrench the correct direction. Loosening it, not tightening. You are trying to loosen the bolt this way. If the sleeve breaks free of the bolt, douse it with penetrating oil and use some heat. At least you won't light the bushings on fire, as they will be gone.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by LACK
The front of the leafs or rear of the leafs? Im assuming rear if you're just installing shackles.

Those bolts are notorious for getting stuck, many times breaking off the welded nut inside the unibody. Your best bet it to spray some penetrating oil on it a couple times a day for the next couple days and let it soak in.

They are extremely stubborn, you'll definitely need a breaker bar. You could drill it out but you still have to worry about getting the threaded portion out of the body.
the end of the bolt is not inside of the body. It just has a nut at the end. I'll send a picture when I get home from school.
Old 02-01-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

caseyheck801 is right. The nut is welded on the protruding bracket off the frame rail.
If the nut spins, you could cut away part of the bracket just enough to heat the nut or get a wrench in there.

Hopefully casey will have pictures of this, it'll be worth a thousand words.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:00 AM
CF Veteran

The front has a nut. That's the hard one.
The back can dam near be just cut out completely.
Get a metabo.
It'll be invaluable in your working.
Wear SAFETY GOGGLES!
Old 02-01-2017, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Subbed.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
The front has a nut. That's the hard one.
The back can dam near be just cut out completely.
Get a metabo.
It'll be invaluable in your working.
Wear SAFETY GOGGLES!
what the hell is a metabo😂 which bolt are you talking about on the rear? I already got the one out of the body. I'm just stuck on the eye bolt.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:35 AM

As far as the Nut being welded to the frame, I wouldn't worry about that either. If it breaks you can always buy a new self locking nut. bolt it on and drive to a welding shop. Have them weld it in place.

If you have the spring off already have it pressed out of the sleeve, thru the eye or curled end.

Can always take it to a machine shop, maybe they can get it out for you?

Last edited by Roadking_; 02-01-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
I agree with the new bushings. Don't think anyone would dream of doing this job and not changing them. They don't have to be pressed in though. I put mine on a block of wood and a small block on top ad hammered tapped them in. Wasn't hard.
As far as getting the bolt out just cut the spring off. Be careful. It's udder pressure and will jump at you. A LOT of pressure. I systematically cut away the steel. Used a Sawzall to trim off the rubber bushing, then grabbed the steel bushing inside with a pipe wrench. The leverage with the pipe wrench and a 3 foot pipe helped break free the bolt so it turned out of the nut. Then I cut the bolt and pulled it out. Upon inspection after, with Michigan road salt, the bolt and the sleeve had permanently become one.
I can't cut the leaf because I am doing rear lift shackles so I don't have another leaf spring.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the thread in my signature. Lots of valuable information in there regarding getting bolts out of the leaf springs. Heat will be a friend. And air tools if you have access. These things make it easier but it's not impossible to do it without them. You can use a map gas torch from home depot or something similar.