Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear fender trimming

Old 06-25-2009, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996 XJ Sport 2007 KJ Rubicon
Engine: 242 4.0 Ho, 226 3.7 V6
Default Rear fender trimming

Ok, I've read the write ups on rear fender trimming, yet I still have one question. The most popular method seems to be cut and fold. I'm guessing the reason is because the wheel well and quarters are not connected, therefore cutting and folding will help keep the two together, and the gap water tight. I want to have a clean look, even up close, so the cut and fold method isn't too appealing. Is it possible to trim the flat portion (leaving the angled lip) and run a bead of adhesive silicone to keep them together/ water tight.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

the reason most people trim and fold is so there are no sharp edges to slice your tire if you flex too much. the flares give the fenders a flat surface to rub. if you want to do it your way be sure that you bump stop properly. You could also trim, fold, then bondo it up to smooth it out a little. thats what I was gonna do, but I decided my jeep was too beat up all over and wasn't worth bondo-ing to touch up the fenders, I'd have to bondo the whole car to get it looking decent.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Using the cut and fold approch keeps the spot welds, keeping the inner and out quarters together. You will have to still seal it even after do it. If you take your time you can get it to look good, even up close. By trimming to the lip your referring to you will cut off the spotwelds too. This would allow the inner and outer to seperate causing more work for you in the end. Also will effect the unibodie structure.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Dan4governor
the reason most people trim and fold is so there are no sharp edges to slice your tire if you flex too much. the flares give the fenders a flat surface to rub. if you want to do it your way be sure that you bump stop properly. You could also trim, fold, then bondo it up to smooth it out a little. thats what I was gonna do, but I decided my jeep was too beat up all over and wasn't worth bondo-ing to touch up the fenders, I'd have to bondo the whole car to get it looking decent.
x2

Originally Posted by grn99
Using the cut and fold approch keeps the spot welds, keeping the inner and out quarters together. You will have to still seal it even after do it. If you take your time you can get it to look good, even up close. By trimming to the lip your referring to you will cut off the spotwelds too. This would allow the inner and outer to seperate causing more work for you in the end. Also will effect the unibodie structure.
x2