Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear drums locking up? transmission getting too hot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear drums locking up? transmission getting too hot?

So my fiance is driving my jeep around town and calls me and tells me that there is a lot of resistance while accelerating from a stop. i meet her and check out the jeep. A few things that im scratching my head about. Ok when the jeep is off and i put it in neutral i can't push it back by hand. i start the jeep and put it in reverse and it rolls perfect. i put it in drive and it wont roll unless i give it gas. i also notice that it won't shift. the rpm's will get around 3k and i just let off. Now about the jeep. its a 1997 XJ. 4.0 2wd. has about 187,xxx miles. Now the weather. it's probably pushing around 100 degree's today. Is the transmission just getting too hot and acting up? are the brakes getting too hot and acting up? I really don't know where to go from there. i have free towing with my insurance so im having it towed home. any help is appreciated.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Yep brakes are seized. The excessive heatfrom your transmission is a result of this. Pop off the wheels and see what's up, probably just one side.

Emergency brake isn't on, right? Lol
Old 06-10-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by salad
Yep brakes are seized. The excessive heatfrom your transmission is a result of this. Pop off the wheels and see what's up, probably just one side.

lol that was the first thing i checked but then i realized that the ebrake doesn't lock. the previous owner messed with it and never fixed it. i had this issue a while back it wouldn't roll back with out a little gas. it eventually became loose and didn't give me any trouble. it's back home now and we're about to check it out. the tow truck picked the back wheels up and towed it home, so im assuming it was the front brakes
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 PM

so i jacked up the rear end and i could literally spin the tires with one finger. i started it and took it around the block and there was no resistance and the transmission was shifting perfect. im thinking it just got pretty hot which shouldn't happen, right? the jeep has probably never had the transmission fluid changed so i may look into that. should i look into changed the shoes and all that good stuff in the rear? maybe something cheaper and easier to replace?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

The transmissions don't get really hot for no reason. Not being able to push it in neutral is a big clue.

New fluid is a great idea. That said take off the drums and see what's up. You may have a leak or rust causing components to seize.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 PM

The transmissions don't get really hot for no reason. Not being able to push it in neutral is a big clue.

New fluid is a great idea. That said take off the drums and see what's up. You may have a leak or rust causing components to seize.

ok will do. thanks for the help! i just drove it into town and everything worked like it was supposed to.