Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

The rear defroster connection is separated at the glass. How do I fix that?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default The rear defroster connection is separated at the glass. How do I fix that?

Like the title says, my rear defroster doesn't work because it came apart at the glass. It's been like that since I got it so I don't know how it happened. I did a little research and found about conductive epoxy. Could I use that to reattach it? If so, any particular epoxy you'd recommend? If not that option, is there any alternative to replacing the whole piece of glass? Any suggestions are appreciated and thanks in advance!

The rear defroster connection is separated at the glass. How do I fix that?-defroster-thing.jpg
Old 04-21-2016, 05:00 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by WolfeMan
Like the title says, my rear defroster doesn't work because it came apart at the glass. It's been like that since I got it so I don't know how it happened. I did a little research and found about conductive epoxy. Could I use that to reattach it? If so, any particular epoxy you'd recommend? If not that option, is there any alternative to replacing the whole piece of glass? Any suggestions are appreciated and thanks in advance!

Attachment 287161
Get some of this stuff,,works great

Amazon.com: Permatex 21351 Electrically Conductive Rear Window Defogger Tab Adhesive: Automotive Amazon.com: Permatex 21351 Electrically Conductive Rear Window Defogger Tab Adhesive: Automotive
Old 04-21-2016, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dumajones
That looks like it will do the trick. Thanks!
Old 04-24-2016, 11:34 AM

Year: 97

You can also just resolder it to the window. Remove the tab, pool some solder on it, then hold it to the window while heating it with the soldering iron. It will take a little while since the glass dissipates the heat. This might be cheaper if you already have soldering equipment
Old 04-25-2016, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bfritz97
You can also just resolder it to the window. Remove the tab, pool some solder on it, then hold it to the window while heating it with the soldering iron. It will take a little while since the glass dissipates the heat. This might be cheaper if you already have soldering equipment
I have a cheap soldering iron but it should be able to do the job. Haven't soldered much so I'm not too good at it but I may give it a try. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-26-2016, 08:19 AM

Year: 97

Originally Posted by WolfeMan
I have a cheap soldering iron but it should be able to do the job. Haven't soldered much so I'm not too good at it but I may give it a try. Thanks for the tip!
I used a cheap soldering iron from harbor freight and it got the job done, but you have to be very patient when putting it back on the glass. Hold the tab against the glass with needle nose pliers and then heat it, probably for a couple minutes using a cheap iron