Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear coil conversion help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default rear coil conversion help!!!!!

so i dont have any jeep friends and looking at doing a rear coil conversion and what to know if anybody ran into some problems on the conversion i have built tons of wheelers but i recently fell in love with cherokees so now i am the odd duck so if you can shoot me some info. o by the way i running a 90 cherokee with stroker 4.0 convert to manual trans and a 6.5 long arm
Old 01-06-2011, 05:47 AM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

SCORE!!! A Tech section thread that's worthwhile!

First are you gonna 4 link? If so, some fab shops make mounts for the top of the diff to run the upper control arms. The lowers can be sleeved into the frame rail. From what I've read, in the rear cargo bay, making a shock hoop that ties to the unibody is the way to go.

Gonna run coil overs I assume?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Your going to need this to get started.

http://mysite.verizon.net/triaged/4l...tml/index.html

Lot's of time under the rig with a tape measure.

Or you can simply contact the folks at TNT, Clayton, or Krawler and buy a kit.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

What system are you going to run?

True 4 link? Triangulated uppers, double triangle, radius,

Biggest concern is making all your mounting points solidly attatched to the unibody, so everything is safe and strong

If you've built wheelers before(I'm assuming buggies) then the fab work should be cake
Old 01-06-2011, 12:40 PM

well i gonna four link it and run just coil springs for now but i was wondering if i should have to pull some of the rear floor up for the upper control arm tower and for shock hoops and plus was wondering if i should run on the upper control arm bracket some holes for adjustment of the upper control arms, then my last question is when running this set up would stock coil springs from the front work best or should i buy lift ones for the rear and if so what size.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by alexandra
well i gonna four link it and run just coil springs for now but i was wondering if i should have to pull some of the rear floor up for the upper control arm tower and for shock hoops and plus was wondering if i should n on the upper control arm bracket some holes for adjustment of the upper control arms, then my last question is when running this set up would stock coil springs from the front work best or should i buy lift ones for the rear and if so what size.
To have the ideal setup, you'll need to cut into the floor. And I would run threaded bungs and heims or jj's and make the arms adjustable.

Id look for some rear springs out of like a tj or jk. And it may take some trial and error to get the lift you want
Old 01-06-2011, 12:50 PM

Year: 2001

Sounds like fun.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Your going to need this to get started.

http://mysite.verizon.net/triaged/4l...tml/index.html

Lot's of time under the rig with a tape measure.

Or you can simply contact the folks at TNT, Clayton, or Krawler and buy a kit.
TNT sells a kit now, I've seen pics of one of the rear coil mocks. But haven't heard anything else about it. I would love to see progress on this.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

ive been interested in & done some researching into a rear conversion to my 98.....i kno that ultimate goal depends on what the rigs main use is going to be....streetable, speeder, crawler, lots of up-travel, lots of down travel, etc...

it'd be a good idea to start with frame stiffeners, right? axle control/spring mounts (i say "control/spring" because ive seen a mount that combines the spring perch with location mounts (for lower CA's) & maybe shock mount as well)

then measurements, angles, measurements, measurements, & some maybe some more measurements....would it be beneficial to move rear axle slightly back (taking into consideration the gas tank)? &/or front axle forward??

coil length or spring rate sets ride height? shock length, upper & lower control arms length provides drop length (w/limit straps)?? then bumpstops to determine max up-travel/compression

i kno there isnt one specific way to accomplish a rear coil spring conversion, but merely different things to think about to get there & make it work the best way for the application....& not to jack the thread, but just throwin out what i think i've so far comprehended, & maybe bring up some areas to be considered
Old 01-06-2011, 05:03 PM

well my idea is to cut some spots out of the floor and build my shock hoops then build my upper link bracket, then build a truss mount on my dana 44, most likly ganna use heim joints and while i under there do my tcase doubler. but thanks for the help on the ideas for it if you have any other info or ideas shoot my way plus if you know any jeep clubs that are in oregon thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 2.5L MPI (Throttle Body Spacer, Intake)

These kits are expensive, but they give you a good idea of what you could do on your own. And some good pics of where you need to notch out the unibody.

http://www.rockkrawler.com/?r_intro=1

http://claytonoffroad.com/product_in...roducts_id/112
Old 01-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 2.5L MPI (Throttle Body Spacer, Intake)

And you might try calling them and see if you could buy components (cross-member) from them without having to buy the whole kit. If you don't want to cut up your floor