Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear brake and tail light out.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rear brake and tail light out.

The left brake and tail light aren't working on my wife's 98 Cherokee. I don't know what the hell to do. I might have to break down and buy a service manual. Fuse 7 is good. The bulb is good. The connector is good. Ground is good. There is no short at the connector. I'm not getting power at the connector. Please help. Thanks.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Double check the bulb socket. Most of the time if only one side isn't working and the fuses and bulb if fine it's the socket. You said it's fine but you have no power to it. Did you check it with a volt meter? If so and no power get a safety pin of something with a small sharp point and stick it into the wire a few inches away from the socket. If you then have power it is the socket.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Double check the bulb socket. Most of the time if only one side isn't working and the fuses and bulb if fine it's the socket. You said it's fine but you have no power to it. Did you check it with a volt meter? If so and no power get a safety pin of something with a small sharp point and stick it into the wire a few inches away from the socket. If you then have power it is the socket.
Thanks for the reply. I triple checked the contacts on the socket with my multimeter. I also "broke" a tiny bit of insulation on the wires an inch or so back and checked for voltage. Then I realized I could remove the rubber insulation and goes over the socket connector and checked the condition. I looked for corrosion and broken wires. There are only 3 wires. The ground seems good. I just checked it to chassis. I also made sure the other 2 wires, brake and tail light, weren't shorted. I have knowledge of electrical circuits. I've been an Electronic Technician for over 16 years now. I just have no idea were the wires are going. Thanks for the sugestions.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sig Al
Thanks for the reply. I triple checked the contacts on the socket with my multimeter. I also "broke" a tiny bit of insulation on the wires an inch or so back and checked for voltage. Then I realized I could remove the rubber insulation and goes over the socket connector and checked the condition. I looked for corrosion and broken wires. There are only 3 wires. The ground seems good. I just checked it to chassis. I also made sure the other 2 wires, brake and tail light, weren't shorted. I have knowledge of electrical circuits. I've been an Electronic Technician for over 16 years now. I just have no idea were the wires are going. Thanks for the sugestions.
I'm going crazy. Anyone have any idea of something I can try? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:42 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Try running new wires from the source on the harness back to the socket. I know on my XJ a lot of the factory wiring was crap, and instead of tracing down issues, I just run new wire. Saves a lot of time and headache in the long run. Just a thought.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Passt
Try running new wires from the source on the harness back to the socket. I know on my XJ a lot of the factory wiring was crap, and instead of tracing down issues, I just run new wire. Saves a lot of time and headache in the long run. Just a thought.
That's a good idea. I just need to find the source. I don't really want to but maybe I could take from the working right side light? Both the tail and brake light? What do you think?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Sig Al
That's a good idea. I just need to find the source. I don't really want to but maybe I could take from the working right side light? Both the tail and brake light? What do you think?
Hmmm I suppose you could do that. To feel better about it, I'd refer to a Haynes manual, or ask nicely on here and someone may be able to find out which wires from the main harness are for the lights you're trying to rewire. That way you're not hacking the harness any more than is necessary.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Passt
Hmmm I suppose you could do that. To feel better about it, I'd refer to a Haynes manual, or ask nicely on here and someone may be able to find out which wires from the main harness are for the lights you're trying to rewire. That way you're not hacking the harness any more than is necessary.
Yeah, those would be better options. None of the local auto parts stores carry the manual. I may have to check Amazon or somewhere.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Can anyone out there help me out, please. There must be a common point where the two tail/ brake light connect since they both sides turn on and off together. It's strange to me that both the brake light and the tail light have no power. Very strange. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:49 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Its probably the connector behind the panel where the spare wheel fits - C311 it is used to connect the trailer wiring on aftermarket trailer wiring packages.

Ian
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Nexus
Its probably the connector behind the panel where the spare wheel fits - C311 it is used to connect the trailer wiring on aftermarket trailer wiring packages.

Ian
Cool. Thanks. I'll have to check it out. Is it a harness? I'm sure i'll see what you talking about when I remove the panel. I haven't removed the spare in a few years so please refresh my memory. Is there a panel to remove or is it the entire plastic "trim" piece? Thanks again.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

its the whole trim panel that comes out, there is a connector in the harness, it has the following wire colors going to it :-

White/tan - Stop lamp LH
Dark blue/Red - Tail lamp LH
Brown/Light green - Back up lamp LH
Black - Ground
Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ian Nexus
its the whole trim panel that comes out, there is a connector in the harness, it has the following wire colors going to it :-

White/tan - Stop lamp LH
Dark blue/Red - Tail lamp LH
Brown/Light green - Back up lamp LH
Black - Ground
Fantastic. Thank you so much for the info Ian.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Here's a pic of the grounds and connectors behind the spare tire. The pic is a bit fuzzy but I think you can make out the markings. This is a '99 XJ but I think it will be the same for a '98.

C322 is the connector for the LT Tail/Stop Lamp.

Ground G302 is for the LT Tail/Stop Lamps (and others), The ground attachment screws for G302 and G304 are POS. Check to see if they are tight while you're there.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Here's some diagrams you may be able to use:

Name:  img269.jpg
Views: 4474
Size:  59.0 KB

Name:  img270.jpg
Views: 22911
Size:  54.0 KB

Name:  img268.jpg
Views: 5634
Size:  30.6 KB

Quick Reply: Rear brake and tail light out.