Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

rear brake line help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation rear brake line help

ok. heres the deal. i had the xj up on the lift and was prepping to install the lift tomorrow. i sprayed down all critical points that i would need to break loose including the rear brake line for the extension. i noticed that my line had quite a bit of corrosion. i wire brushed around the line in hopes of helping the nut to spin loosely. i used the brake line wrench to gently loosen all the nuts and they all came off easily. however, the brake line itself ripped open and fluid starting leaking everywhere. i guess from just being old and decrepit. my question is has anyone else had the same problem or had to replace they're rear brake line. do they make pre-bent replacements? if so where can i find one. if not, what should be my method to this madness? TIA.

p.s. upon searching i could only uncover material pertaining to replacing rubber lines, not the entire steel line running along the frame rail.

Last edited by bfisher42; 04-08-2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

They should offer pre-bent brake lines too. I am pretty sure if you call any big auto parts store or mabey EBAY you should be able to find what you need. If your rig has ABS brakes, make sure when you are done with the new brake line install you bleed your brakes VERY good. Otherwise you will end up with an air bubble in your system and that is bad!!
Old 04-08-2010, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

Best thing to do is buy some tubing in bulk and flar your own line, this requires some skill and a few tools. If that is not a viable option, you can get an el cheapo line bender, adn buy varying lengths of hard line to route your own. I did this on my SWb mj as the line rotted in half right in front of g-tank. It is an easy fix, but can be kinda pricey buying lengths of line and unions. Also keep in mind some of the brake lines at the prop valve have funky metric fittings.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 AM

Year: 1997

I had to replace the entire line for the rear in mine because it was totally rotted, the pre-bent lines are just to hard to deal with, its much better to get a few different lengths from the parts store and bend them yourself, you don't need a bender you can just do it by hand, the lines won't crimp over on themselves. I think the longest is like 72" and will run from the back to basically up past the cat (in distance) then you can get a variety of shorter pieces and bend and couple them to get to the master cylinder. (If your going all the way) I rented a flaring tool at auto zone as I didn't have one. Good Luck!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Year: 2000

thanks for the help. i got a brakeline from the dealer today for 28 bucks. yeah i am just as surprised as you are. i do appreciate everyones help though.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 lt. 242 cu.in.

Originally Posted by bfisher42
thanks for the help. i got a brakeline from the dealer today for 28 bucks. yeah i am just as surprised as you are. i do appreciate everyones help though.
wow, that is surprising...
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offroadnut36
wow, that is surprising...
x2! when I did my lift, I broke the like from the master to the rear axle. It was hella cheap from the dealer! Sometimes, not any tho, the dealer is the best option.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:29 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L
Default 97-99 Rear Brake Tube Part Number

I have the same problem with my 98 XJ, while PB Blasting all Unions in preparation for my Lift. My hard brake line Union at the Rear Axle Hose connection was Rusted to crumbling $hit. And started spewing Brake Fluid everywhere as soon as I touched it.

Opened up my 1997-1999 XJ Parts Catalog and much to my surprise my local Jeep Dealer actually had the part in stock.

I just checked for Non ABS and ABS use the same line to the rear, the part number is :

#5212 7967

As I said, this is the same part for XJ 97-99, probably even later, for the union under the master cylinder near the steering column back to the rear axle.

Granted you can buy the tubing/line but once you get into renting the bender and cutting and flare...it only adds to the price. This is $28. Done.

Wasn't looking forward to learning how to bend and flare brake tubing while layin' on my back anyway !

Maybe when I have more time. Right now my number one priority is to fix my brakes !!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 11:43 AM

Thumbs up

I did this exact same thing. But my stealer quoted me 35.00. They have been consistently higher than anywhere else, unfortunately I have no where else to go.

Thanks for the part number!