Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Brake Blues

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Rear Brake Blues

This is not really a Help me thread more of a Rant. Anyway I've been having a ongoing issue with my ABS on my Cherokee... Figured the ABS Manifold is airbound .... and the Brake light is coming on steady now .... so with the hell that is Benix-9 ABS Brake system I rather not drive it so I figured maybe do a power bleed on the system and maybe I can get the air out of the ABS Mainfold. so I bring the Power Bleeder home from work toingh and get ready to bleed everything ... hook the fitting up to the manifold and decided to go check to make sure the Bleeders will move .... figured it had a brake line replaced recently they should move ...... check the front no problems ... moves fine .... get to the rear ....Bleeder screws are snapped off and look to be rusted into position. Just great. So now looks like I'm doing rear shoes, Wheel Cylinders, Hardware and probably the rear lines that run across the Axle as they fitting are really rusted and corrroded and can almost bet money that they will not turn but are gonna twist and break the line ...

Now for the questions... How much of a pain is it to properly bleed a Bendix-9 system? we have a pump style bleeder capable of 30-40PSI... is that enough pressure for this system?

I am a mechanic btw, been working professionally for 12 years but have never had to work on a Brake system like this... Any info would be incredibly useful.