Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rear Axle Bearing Replacement Questions

Old 08-07-2014, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Rear Axle Bearing Replacement Questions

I believe I need to replace the bearings in my rear axle. I've been searching online for instructions and have found some pretty good write-ups so far that give me a good idea what I have to do.

Couple of questions before I get started though.
What do I use to seat the new bearings in the axle housing? The tool for this seems to be something everyone over looks when describing the process.

How do I remove the axle seals?

I have a 98 XJ with a Chrysler 8.25 rear

So far here are the steps I have found
1. Jack up the back
2. remove rear diff cover
3. remove wheels and drum housings
4. remove pin that holds the axles in place
5. push axles in and remove c clip
6. remove axles
7. Using bearing puller and a slide hammer remove the bearings (also skipped is how to remove the axle seals)
8. Install new bearings *this is where people leave out the how to press the new bearings in
9. Reassemble is opposite of removal

Am I missing any steps? Can anyone give me a list of tools that I will need? This is my only vehicle so I would like to make sure I have everything on hand before I get **** torn apart.
Are there any speciality tools that I will need to barrow from Advance Auto/Auto Zone/Napa/...?

Here is the write up I'm going to be following
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/h...rings-1042251/

I know it's not from this forum, but I couldn't find a write up on here that covered this.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by ch45x7
I believe I need to replace the bearings in my rear axle. I've been searching online for instructions and have found some pretty good write-ups so far that give me a good idea what I have to do.

Couple of questions before I get started though.
What do I use to seat the new bearings in the axle housing? The tool for this seems to be something everyone over looks when describing the process.

How do I remove the axle seals?

I have a 98 XJ with a Chrysler 8.25 rear

So far here are the steps I have found
1. Jack up the back
2. remove rear diff cover
3. remove wheels and drum housings
4. remove pin that holds the axles in place Once this is removed do not rotate the wheels or drive-shaft or the spider gears may fall out.
5. push axles in and remove c clip
6. remove axles
7. Using bearing puller and a slide hammer remove the bearings (also skipped is how to remove the axle seals) Either pry out the axle seals with a claw-hammer or pry-bar/large screwdriver or just leave them, and they'll come out with the bearing.
8. Install new bearings *this is where people leave out the how to press the new bearings in Harbor-Freight sells a bearing-driver set that works great for this, otherwise a socket approximately the size of the outer-ring of the bearing will work (a socket in this size would generally be 3/4" drive), either way you'll need a hammer, a ball-pein will work but the bigger the hammer (within reason) the faster/easier it will be. http://www.harborfreight.com/10-piec...set-95853.html .(note: make sure the "numbers" on the bearing are facing out).
9. Reassemble is opposite of removal (don't forget to put some lube on the bearings to avoid a "dry-start")

Am I missing any steps? Can anyone give me a list of tools that I will need? This is my only vehicle so I would like to make sure I have everything on hand before I get **** torn apart.
Are there any speciality tools that I will need to barrow from Advance Auto/Auto Zone/Napa/...?

Here is the write up I'm going to be following
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/h...rings-1042251/

I know it's not from this forum, but I couldn't find a write up on here that covered this.

See notes in bold above.

The only "specialty tools" are the bearing-puller, slide-hammer (5lb. recommended but a 3lb. will do), and bearing driver (or a socket big enough to drive the bearing with) all are readily available at Harbor-Freight and other tool retailers.

Also make sure you have jack-stands capable of supporting the vehicle on the "frame" rails, taking the weight off the axle makes it much easier to get to the top bolts on the diff cover.

And make sure you have good soap/hand cleaner, everything will be covered in gear oil so you'll likely get plenty of it on you no matter how hard you try not to.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0, APN header & 2.5" exhaust

You can nudge the axle seals out with a pry bar. Slide hammer for the wheel bearings. Then a socket to drive the new bearings back in the tube. Just make sure to keep the bearing square as you are going back into the axle tube.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:42 AM

Thanks for the help guys. This sounds pretty easy just time consuming. Looks like I have some new tools to buy.
Thanks for the tip about the pin, now I know to put it back while the axles are out to keep the gears in place JIC
Old 12-15-2014, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Great questions. I need to do this in January before I get back to school. Keep us posted how it went.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:45 PM

Did this a couple months ago now. All went well. Only issue I had was getting the seals in. They went in eventually but using a socket was not the best method. I would highly recommend getting the kit from harbor freight to seat the bearings and seals quickly.
Oh, and just pull the seals out with the bearings using the bearing puller, much faster and easier. Plus less chance for damage than with a hammer.

I did have a couple Spider gears fall out but I got them back in without too much of a hassle.

Now that I've done this the next step is to install an aussie locker when I get the time and money.

Last edited by ch45x7; 12-15-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:04 PM

You can borrow/loan everything you need to do the job at Autozone.......
Just pay the deposit on the tools, and you get it all back when you bring the tools back............

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...eads/2047_0_0/

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...et/391363_0_0/

http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools...et/391360_0_0/

In an extreme pinch, you can use one of the old axle bearings and a block of wood to tap the new axle bearings into place with a hammer,(same with the seal) however the proper loaner tools make the job so much easier.............

Last edited by Firehawk068; 12-15-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:43 AM

ch45x7-

How much play did you have in your bearings before you replaced them?

Did you notice a better ride/handling/feel after replacing them?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001, 1997
Engine: 4.0L

The axle shaft bearings normally have a long life. Seal problems are more common. Dirt or buggered up axle shafts can cause problems for the bearings. What makes you think you need new axle shaft bearings? Also, keep in mind this procedure is for the 8.25 axle. The D35 axle is has a different procedure.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by md21722
The axle shaft bearings normally have a long life. Seal problems are more common. Dirt or buggered up axle shafts can cause problems for the bearings. What makes you think you need new axle shaft bearings? Also, keep in mind this procedure is for the 8.25 axle. The D35 axle is has a different procedure.

When the rear is on a set of jackstands, I grab the wheel and have play at the 12-6 AND 9-3 positions.

Also, on the highway, when I hit bumps, I feel the *** end have a slight lateral sliding action. This is me noticing every little thing, most people wouldn't feel it.

I have new RE springs, shackles, Bilsteins in the back. I think the feel has to be axle related.