Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radio Static

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Radio Static

My 98 Cherokee Classic had a Sony head unit when I bought it and most of the radio stations that I get just fine in my other car have a lot of static in the Jeep. I've checked all the wiring and all the connections are tight and correct including the antenna plug. Any ideas?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:36 PM

Stick a potato on the antennae.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:37 PM

OR upgrade your stereo. Maybe a nice HD.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:07 PM

I don't really want to replace the head unit, I like the Sony one thats in there and its not the cheapest one from Sony. Will the head unit itself cause radio stations to have a lot of static?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by wmpttr125
My 98 Cherokee Classic had a Sony head unit when I bought it and most of the radio stations that I get just fine in my other car have a lot of static in the Jeep. I've checked all the wiring and all the connections are tight and correct including the antenna plug. Any ideas?
Check the photos in this post, he has one that mentions the radio. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/99-...3/#post2276954

You may also want to go to the JY or ebay for an OEM radio. My OEM radio is excellent, albeit featureless. I like the look.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by wmpttr125
I don't really want to replace the head unit, I like the Sony one thats in there and its not the cheapest one from Sony. Will the head unit itself cause radio stations to have a lot of static?
No!!!

I replaced the spark plugs in my Tundra recently and had a significant reduction in static. Was it the smaller gap or different brand? Can't say.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Depends on what sort of static ya got there. Did you trace the ground strap all the way back from the radio? Remember every wire has two ends.

If that's good move out into the engine bay. There's a braided strap that runs from the firewall to the engine block. It used to be called a ground, but newer models have it designated for RF Interference Reduction. This strap frequently corrodes and falls apart.

Also make sure your tuneup hardware is in good shape and the right parts. You need carbon resistor type spark plug wires. These should be standard from Accel, Belden, and NGK (I like NGK wires quite a bit). Plain copper wires or another metallic conductor actually induces interference with every spark. Copper spark plugs however are exactly what you want (Champion or NGK gapped to 0.035").

The antenna cable could be shot too but I have no idea how to get at it
Old 01-29-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by salad
Depends on what sort of static ya got there. Did you trace the ground strap all the way back from the radio? Remember every wire has two ends.

If that's good move out into the engine bay. There's a braided strap that runs from the firewall to the engine block. It used to be called a ground, but newer models have it designated for RF Interference Reduction. This strap frequently corrodes and falls apart.

Also make sure your tuneup hardware is in good shape and the right parts. You need carbon resistor type spark plug wires. These should be standard from Accel, Belden, and NGK (I like NGK wires quite a bit). Plain copper wires or another metallic conductor actually induces interference with every spark. Copper spark plugs however are exactly what you want (Champion or NGK gapped to 0.035").

The antenna cable could be shot too but I have no idea how to get at it
I have not traced any of the wires yet, I'll do that this weekend and clean all the grounds. The plugs, wires, cap, and rotor are less than a year old but I'm not sure what brand the wires are the previous owner did it all