Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 cherokee sport. common problem? or bad news?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 cherokee sport. common problem? or bad news?

why ello there. i have a 99 cherokee sport. it has a steady check engine light for 2 codes, one being emissions and the other for some idle sensor if i remember correctly?

well when i drive at random the jeep will stall out (feels like it loses all spark and/or fuel). as it does the cel turns off and the battery gauge drops to zero along with the other gauges sometimes. as soon as it smooths off and runs good the cel goes back on. kinda weird it dies and stalls as the cel goes off?
headlights, radio, everything else stays working, just the gauges and motor fail.

if i dont hit the gas the jeep will die and be rough to start back up.

i pulled the plug wires and coil wire off and they were heavily corroded so i cleaned them off and the jeep didnt have a problem at all for days, ran like a top and didnt skip a beat.

but now it is doing it again at random. if it wants it will run fine all day long, then the next day act up every few seconds/mins.
this is my first jeep and i would like to know if anyone has any idea what causes this or how to fix it.

any input is greatly appreciated, as im trying to sell the jeep and want it to run good for the new owner.

thanks, Nolan

Last edited by crx6662; 01-28-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The emissions code could be a number of things, more likely than not it's an O2 sensor, and even more likely, the lower O2 sensor.

The rough idle could be a bad set of plugs/wires/ignition coil/cap and rotor or coil packs (depending on when in 99 yours was made), bad IAC, bad TPS....you get the idea, a lot contributes to how it idles. Go through each one one-by-one and replace if necessary.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by crx6662
i pulled the plug wires and coil wire off and they were heavily corroded so i cleaned them off and the jeep didnt have a problem at all for days, ran like a top and didnt skip a beat.

but now it is doing it again at random.
This says a lot, to me. It seemed to solve your problems for a while anyway. I would do a good tune up: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and clean the IAC. Maybe throw in a new upstream O2 sensor. Also, remove and clean both ends of both battery cables, and clean all ground points.

Could you get the specific codes?
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by belvedere
This says a lot, to me. It seemed to solve your problems for a while anyway. I would do a good tune up: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and clean the IAC. Maybe throw in a new upstream O2 sensor. Also, remove and clean both ends of both battery cables, and clean all ground points.

Could you get the specific codes?
Good advice here. And yes, we need the actual code numbers, not just a description.

With OBD, the devil is in the details!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM

ill try to get the codes asap
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L i6

The CEL is not your enemy that needs to go off. It is trying to tell you something. Listen. Write down the codes. Google them. Then you'll have a much better idea of the issue.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:36 PM

i dont have a scanner handy and dont trust to drive it to the nearest parts store with a scanner (35 miles) is there a way to run the codes like the ignition trick? i have tried that with no luck
Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

No offense dude but if you don't want to drive it to the parts store to get the codes, how were you going to get to the parts store for parts?

If you have a second vehicle I'd recommend getting a cheap OBD2 scanner. I love my '99 XJ but it'll turn 15 in a few months. In other words, you will use the code reader more than once lol. The problems you're describing can involve most of the drivetrain. You could drop $1000 on new parts and still not fix it.

If you're really bored, a total electrical connector refresh is always fun. Clean all connections (especially grounds) with a brass wire brush, electrical contact cleaner, and reassemble with some sort of electric grease like one of these: http://www.k1ttt.net/technote/antiox.html
Old 01-28-2013, 04:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by crx6662
i dont have a scanner
I just got a scanner, one of these:
Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles : Amazon.com : Automotive Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for OBDII Vehicles : Amazon.com : Automotive
for $17.50, the everyday price on Amazon is $20. Good reviews. may be worth your while.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by MtnHermit

I just got a scanner, one of these: Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-Diagnostic-Vehicles/dp/B001LHVOVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359410189&sr=8-1&keywords=odb2+scanner
for $17.50, the everyday price on Amazon is $20. Good reviews. may be worth your while.
Let me kno how this one works out! I bought one basically the same thing but in blue and mine keeps readng link error. Idk if there is somethig wrong with te scanner or my xj lol.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

My choice for inexpensive code readers and scan tools is ACTRON. Great quality and you know they are going to be around for a while, unlike many of the no-name units.

Widely available and not much more coin than the cheapest ones; I got mine on amazon.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by salad
No offense dude but if you don't want to drive it to the parts store to get the codes, how were you going to get to the parts store for parts?

If you have a second vehicle I'd recommend getting a cheap OBD2 scanner. I love my '99 XJ but it'll turn 15 in a few months. In other words, you will use the code reader more than once lol. The problems you're describing can involve most of the drivetrain. You could drop $1000 on new parts and still not fix it.

If you're really bored, a total electrical connector refresh is always fun. Clean all connections (especially grounds) with a brass wire brush, electrical contact cleaner, and reassemble with some sort of electric grease like one of these: http://www.k1ttt.net/technote/antiox.html
Thought I'd sneak this in...

Available at Lowes and/or Home Depot. Use on your ground connections only.

Name:  NOALOX.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  23.4 KB
Old 01-28-2013, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tjwalker
My choice for inexpensive code readers and scan tools is ACTRON. Great quality and you know they are going to be around for a while, unlike many of the no-name units.

Widely available and not much more coin than the cheapest ones; I got mine on amazon.
I have an ACTRON CP9180 that I bought years ago. I don't think they sell this model anymore but they may be available on Ebay. If you get a scanner/code reader it won't be a waste of money because you can use it on your next vehicle. Just get an OBD II compatible reader. You don't need a CAN (unless your new vehicle is a 2005+) reader or a bilingual reader.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Here's the ground points in the engine bay of your '99 that should be cleaned. G106 is located on the left inner fender near the PCM.

Name:  G100.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  G101.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  G102.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  70.9 KB

Name:  G106.jpg
Size:  74.5 KB

Name:  RadioInterferanceSuppressor.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  120.1 KB

Here's some pictorial data concerning the bonding strap on the firewall:

Pic of the rusty firewall connection.

Name:  RustyGroundConnection.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  51.9 KB

And the bolt at that connection.

Name:  RustyGroundConnectionBolt.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  32.2 KB

This is the new firewall bolt installation. You can wire wheel yours to remove the rust or replace it.

Name:  RustyGroundConnectionNewBoltinPlace.jpg
Size:  66.4 KB

This is the cylinder head bolt/stud ground point. I cleaned it up and installed two nuts to sandwhich the ring terminal.

Name:  RustyGroundConnectionNewNutsonEngineStud.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  218.2 KB

You should get some NOALOX and apply it to the ring teminal ends at assembly.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get this if you have an android phone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005NL...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Then download Torque and sync it up. You can read codes and even clear them. We can't help you if we don't know the codes.

Quick Reply: 99 cherokee sport. common problem? or bad news?