Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator randomly leaking from cap

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Radiator randomly leaking from cap

I've noticed my radiator is randomly leaking from the cap. It doesn't seem like it's alot, I've just noticed a little bit of coolant on top of my air box the last couple of times I opened the hood. The cap is a new 16lb Stant cap, which is what the computer at Advance called for. I noticed that the PO had a 19lb cap on it, and that makes me wonder if this has been an on going problem that they band-aided with the higher pressure cap. Temperature is usually good. Generally ranging from just under 210, to 210, to just over 210, and occasionally heading up toward 225, then stopping and coming back down right around halfway there. Ideas anyone?
Old 07-07-2009, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

Sounds like you may have a partial plug or restriction somewhere in your cooling system. Since this XJ is new to you, I would recommend doing a thorough flush of the cooling system and see what thay results in. Could fix your over pressure/temperature spiking problem. Could result in your finding a bunch of leaks once the rust and sludge is flushed away. Either way, you need to know whats up with your cooling system.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jaqattack02
I've noticed my radiator is randomly leaking from the cap. It doesn't seem like it's alot, I've just noticed a little bit of coolant on top of my air box the last couple of times I opened the hood. The cap is a new 16lb Stant cap, which is what the computer at Advance called for. I noticed that the PO had a 19lb cap on it, and that makes me wonder if this has been an on going problem that they band-aided with the higher pressure cap. Temperature is usually good. Generally ranging from just under 210, to 210, to just over 210, and occasionally heading up toward 225, then stopping and coming back down right around halfway there. Ideas anyone?
you don't have a recovery tank connected
Old 07-07-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by mike37
you don't have a recovery tank connected
I assume you mean the overflow bottle? If so, yes I do. It has the long skinny annoying hose connected to it that always seems to manage to get in the way. I suppose I could check and make sure that hose isn't clogged.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
Sounds like you may have a partial plug or restriction somewhere in your cooling system. Since this XJ is new to you, I would recommend doing a thorough flush of the cooling system and see what thay results in. Could fix your over pressure/temperature spiking problem. Could result in your finding a bunch of leaks once the rust and sludge is flushed away. Either way, you need to know whats up with your cooling system.
We flushed out the engine itself pretty well with the hose before we put it in the car, since we had the water pump and thermostat out anyway. We didn't really do anything with the radiator though, so I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try that.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jaqattack02
I assume you mean the overflow bottle? If so, yes I do. It has the long skinny annoying hose connected to it that always seems to manage to get in the way. I suppose I could check and make sure that hose isn't clogged.
if that is connected you should not have any water leaking at the cap
it should all go in to the overflow bottle

make sure the rubber part on the outer part of the cap is not damaged