Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

radiator is leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default radiator is leaking

So the seal went on a corner just gone. So I just bought this jeep and thought it was leaking because I have added coolant a few times and just never saw the coolant drip.

I brought it to my mechanic and told him to check it out and flush it if not leaking. He tested it he said and no leaks and about 2 weeks later bam I saw it coming out and just brought it there. So do I give him a hard time? I paid for a coolant flush and now I need a new radiator for $400 bucks installed.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

www.dpgoffroad.com They have a nice radiator there.

I seriously doubt you'll get anywhere with the mechanic. Replacing a rad isnt difficult.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:45 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I wouldnt give him a hard time, radiators can leak intermittently because of of differences in pressure and older radiators can have build up in them. Since the radiator could have had build keeping the leak to a minimum the flush you asked him to do could have actually opened the leak. Dont get me wrong flushes should be done routinely.
Ever hear of putting pepper in your radiator to stop a leak? It works but I am sure it cant be good on other components.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:34 PM

ok will take it and smile.. My friends dad owns the station too. So I know or think they would not try and screw me..
Old 03-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Year: 1995

Can the radiator be fixed?

Also, if you are even a little bit handy you should be able to replace the radiator yourself and save your self a lot of money for labor. This also leaves the option of getting the radiator from a junkyard saving you even more money.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

some times when radiator gets hot and pressure build it can seal the crimped on endtanks. Covering up a leak.....but when cooled it can start to leak again. those things are to hard to predict and may not show up on a pressure test.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

I just went thru the same thing. Just bought the Jeep and looked it over and everything seemed fine. A heater hose was leaking so I replaced that. The heater control valve started leaking, so replaced that too. I would see some coolant splatters on the bottom of the truck but was hoping it was from the hose leaks (wishful thinking).

Ended up being the side tank that was leaking. Its possible that when I replaced the hoses it caused the system to build up just enough pressure to blow the seal on the radiator.

Anyways. Dont purchase a cheap one at the parts store, I did and it was low quality and wouldnt fit right. Ended up purchasin a CSF from a radiator shop for the same price (2-row) and it was much nicer.

Do it yourself, its pretty easy. While your at it I would replace the hoses as well and maybe the thermostat.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:58 PM

letting the mechanic do it only 400 bucks and when the radiator is 235 bucks not bad for labor and coolant. Not worth it to me to do. It is cold and wet out here so to rewmove the belts and hoses and grill to get the radiator out just no fun