Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator leak help

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Radiator leak help

so i've searched to see if i can id my leaking problem, but most say its the end caps. but my leak is coming from the fins right in front of the mechanical fan. is this normal. its a small leaking nothing is gushing. is my radiator starting to fail?
Old 09-04-2010, 08:34 AM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by jorget
so i've searched to see if i can id my leaking problem, but most say its the end caps. but my leak is coming from the fins right in front of the mechanical fan. is this normal. its a small leaking nothing is gushing. is my radiator starting to fail?
Not to give you bad news, but it sounds like it is going bad. I have a 96 Cherokee, run the numbers, 15 years old. I just replaced mine as it was leaking from the side. Got a 2 row radiator from Oriellys for 109.00. It was an easy change out, the worst part the lower transmission line. Took about 3 hours including a new serpentine belt which is very easy to change with the raidator out, aux fan out, and main shroud removed. Glad to have it done, by the way the car has 135K miles on it.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 AM

Year: 1994

New radiator time!! Fix it before it causes a bigger problem.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:08 AM

I replaced mine a couple years ago with a mail-order, all metal, 3-row radiator for around a hundred bucks. When I got it, it said "Made in Mexico," but it looked like it was made well so I put it in - along with the almost obligatory other new items, such as radiator cap, fresh coolant, water pump, t-stat, belt, hoses, etc. Having the radiator out made all the other stuff easier and I was around 200k miles on the Jeep by that time. I am at 243k now and no problems with the "new" radiator whatsoever.

Heater core started drippingon the carpet about a year later, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms. Cooling system upgrade as described was well worth the effort and was not horribly expensive.

Something to think about while you have the radiator out (replacing some other stuff). Worst part, as someone stated above, was getting the lower transmission cooling line disconnected. Found out later that there is a tool for that, but the connection was crusty and was a booger. Be patient and use penetrating oil (Kroil if you have it) and you may be able to get it out without damaging it too badly. Mine was pretty ugly but got it apart without any more damage than a cut on one knuckle.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:24 PM

So i went and checked out radiators and the guy was telling if i chose to go with a two row that i might have issues with my fan shroud not fitting correctly has any one had this problem
Old 09-04-2010, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 90

I've done two xj radiator swaps on a 90 and a 99, both two core all metal and never had any clearance or fitting issues
Old 09-05-2010, 12:27 AM

What would be a good brand to get? Ive done several searches and there a lot to chose from. Its still dd but im starting to do more trail riding and want to have something reliable.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:24 AM

Year: 90

It's been awhile but i think i've done the 1 800 radiator and the radiator barn thing. Both were two core all steel rads. From what i've seen and in my opinion you shouldn't need anything fancier than that to keep a well maintained and functioning cooling system happy on a 4.0
Old 09-06-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by littleredXJ
It's been awhile but i think i've done the 1 800 radiator......

I THINK that's where mine came from. Don't get me wrong, the palstic one did just fine for me for well over 100k miles, but for $100, I wasn't going to argue with the all metal, 3-row. They shipped quick too.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 89

autozone radiators are 108 with a lifetime warranty so when you crack those plastic tanks they replace it
and by the nature of the question id guess your motor has no major mods so a new oem one will work just fine
Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 PM

since i'm replacing the radiator i will also replace my water pump. so i've looked through a couple threads and i can't find how much the water pump is suppose to be torqued to. any one know?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:33 PM

Year: 1996

Mine is leaking from the same spot! the fan must have sprayed coolant all over...I thought it was my water pump. So I bought a water pump and thermostat from Mopar and put em on. Then drive it right after and noticed it was leaking still. Same spot. It was a very small thin spray. One little line spraying out. Not alot. Now its not doing it but seems to be leaking from the sides. Which are normal. Going to get an all metal 3 row soon from radiator barn. Seems to me they are one of the best rads for the money.