Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Radiator Baffle Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Radiator Baffle Replacement

Dealing with some front end damage after a run in with a deer. I’ve got just about everything needed to move forward, but my radiator support baffle on the driver side is pretty bent. I could probable hammer it back to something usable but I thought I would just replace it since I was pulling stuff from the junkyard anyway. Problem is, I can’t figure out how to get the damn thing off. Searched the forum and only thing close is someone looking to buy the replacement part but they never update on the replacement. Maybe they have another name, this is just what I’ve found. I’ve got the quarter panel off and every bolt I can find on it taken out. I can’t see where it’s welded anywhere, no plugs that I can see and the edges/seams don’t look like they are welded either. Just stuck real good? Need to put some *** into maybe? I want to keep from damaging the replacement as much as I can, so I’ve not been beating on it. Anyone dealt with this? Suggestions?

Old 04-16-2019, 07:57 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I am impressed that you found just that part. Here is my saga of replacing the inner fender apron:https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/reb...-apron-226647/. I had to replace both sides and I got the entire apron including that part from the pick a part. The apron itself is spot welded to the rest of the body. That part may be spot welded too, but I did not get down t just that part. Look closely and look for little dimples a couple of inches apart. If you see those, then it's spot welded together. You can get a spot weld bit and drill them out to remove that part and weld the new one back in.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Wow

Holy crap man, that is dedication. Luckily mine was more of a glancing blow to the driver side. Pretty sure I can just swap the front quarter panel, that triangle support piece and hopefully the baffle. I was looking for the welds, but guess I might have missed them. Was hoping it was just a bolt it. I’ve seen the drill out/reweld method but never done it. Guess I will be living in that direction I guess.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:07 PM

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Model: Cherokee

I just went out and looked at my 98. That has to be spot welded from the side. None of the pictures of the amazon product listing show that side. I have a harbor freight near me and used a couple of these:https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-...ter-63657.html to go through the spot welds. Amazon has several options too. If you don't have the triangle support piece, I was able to find plenty of those at the pick a part. They are held on with just bolts.