Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

quick steering column question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:31 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default quick steering column question

i have the basic steering column in my 90 xj, no intermittent wipers or anything special, and i hate hot having intermittent wipers and the horn rarely works and its really just falling apart, i was just curious if i can just grab a column off one with the intermittent wipers and just add the wiper control box into the connector and it work no problem i would assume it would all plug in but i hate to go to the jy get one and be sol :P
Old 04-12-2011, 02:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: i6 HO

Originally Posted by shanester
i have the basic steering column in my 90 xj, no intermittent wipers or anything special, and i hate hot having intermittent wipers and the horn rarely works and its really just falling apart, i was just curious if i can just grab a column off one with the intermittent wipers and just add the wiper control box into the connector and it work no problem i would assume it would all plug in but i hate to go to the jy get one and be sol :P
Maybe go find a different column or the parts and do your own mod to yours?
I wonder if that would work.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

yes it would but you dont no if the one you get if the switch is any good in the coloumn, why not buy the switch and install in yours and get the delay box your gonna have to take yours apart for the key cyl any way
Old 04-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Seasoned Member

hmm thats true, thanks for the info
Old 04-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Year: 88-ish
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just put a whole new column in mine yesterday cause my tilt was broken and it was way easier then trying to pull it apart and just fix parts inside. I just a new column for 50 bucks with a key included. Just make sure you buy one that has the wiper switches that you want. The switch in the column itself is what controls when and how fast the wipers come on.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Seasoned Member

ya my old one had the switch, my current one doesnt even have tilt :P its the baseline one its ziptied together haha its so trashed the key doesnt even have the part around it to help turn the key so the keys actually twisting :P i think im gonna get a new one but bring a tester to make sure the switches work
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by shanester
ya my old one had the switch, my current one doesnt even have tilt :P its the baseline one its ziptied together haha its so trashed the key doesnt even have the part around it to help turn the key so the keys actually twisting :P i think im gonna get a new one but bring a tester to make sure the switches work
Or check craigslist for someone doing a part-out. Thats where I got mine.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by blankdeluxe
I just put a whole new column in mine yesterday cause my tilt was broken and it was way easier then trying to pull it apart and just fix parts inside. I just a new column for 50 bucks with a key included. Just make sure you buy one that has the wiper switches that you want. The switch in the column itself is what controls when and how fast the wipers come on.
Hello, I just purchased a 97 Cherokee sport with the entire column area yanked out. All of the mechanics seem to work, could I just find the column and dash piece at a junkyard and install it myself ( I'm new to this and do not have a wide array of skills). Also, the guy who sold it to me rigged up a push button start because the wires had been tampered with in an attempted theft. Should I just cover up dash and column and use this button ( it doesn't seem to have a negative impact on the starter, etc) or get some expensive electrical work done?
Old 04-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by rharrison4
Hello, I just purchased a 97 Cherokee sport with the entire column area yanked out. All of the mechanics seem to work, could I just find the column and dash piece at a junkyard and install it myself ( I'm new to this and do not have a wide array of skills). Also, the guy who sold it to me rigged up a push button start because the wires had been tampered with in an attempted theft. Should I just cover up dash and column and use this button ( it doesn't seem to have a negative impact on the starter, etc) or get some expensive electrical work done?
I have a push button start on mine too. Doesn't have a negative effect at all. You can get a new column and just plug in all the wires into the new one. That way you use the key on the column to turn on the accessories and the push button to start.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

FYI there is a thread specifically about push button starts. Good info in that thread.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks guys. Good stuff. Is plugging in gonna be very difficult? I'll just pay close attention when I remove the junkyard column.

Here is a pic for before and after purposes!
Attached Thumbnails quick steering column question-image-1435832868.jpg   quick steering column question-image-178661982.jpg  
Old 04-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Nothing to it...
Attached Thumbnails quick steering column question-image-334322508.jpg   quick steering column question-image-2858024935.jpg