Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Quick question Installed a new motor little problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Quick question Installed a new motor little problem

Ok so this is not my first time nstalling an engine in a jeep Cherokee.
I just installed a new 4.0 in a 2000 jeep cherokee,

I've got spark, fuel and it won't fire? Been playing with it for 2 days, it starts out strong (meaning the starter is doing its job) and there's gas going into the injectors, the injectors and intake are new along with the alternator and almost everything on the engine except the exost manifold.

What I can say is that after 3-4 cranks is as if the starter is getting tired.
I have an new battery and keep it on a tender and then add a jump pack as a back up so that I have enough electrical power.

Back history to the jeep it sat for 2 years, I did replace the fuel in the tank and cleaned out the lines.

any thoughts? Could it be a grounding issue and if so how can I hunt it down ?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

It sat for 2 years?

Did you lube the cylinder walls? Little at fluid in all cylinders bump it over a little bit. Shouldnt keep it from starting but needs to be done

U sure about fire? CPS's are very sensitive. If you left iton bell housing you could have easily bumped. With flywheel while putting in motor.

Compression?

Have u tried to start with fuel pump relay out and starter fluid?

Double check your grounds?

Do you have all plugs and connectors plugged back in?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

squirt some starting fluid in the tb and see what that gets you. not too much. three little bursts usualy gets it. that will rule out spark and then you need fuel. check the fuel pressure with a guage even if fuel is getting to the rail doesnt means its enough preasure to spray.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

Check timing.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

agreed with the last three also get yourself a code reader and check for any hard faults that will not clear this will hopefully trace down any loose connectors or damaged sensors.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:35 PM

Year: 2001
Default Worked on this for 3-4 hours tonight

So I worked on this for 3-4 hours tonight with a friend that's a mechanic , we checked all of the above, and came up with what we think might help but would run it by you guys first

We are going to set the engine to TDC then remove the ignition pack (where the distributor would be located) check it against the same year and model Cherokee that I have to see if its an issue with the trimming being off. Being the same year and engine the location and position of the pack should be the same.
Im also going to see if I can get a scanner to check any codes that come up.
That's all I've got for now. We are hopping its just a timeline issue and not something electrical/computer related.
Is there a way to check if the CPS is working corectly? Or needs to be replaced?
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

I think you're on the right track. You say you have fuel and spark, but you need to be sure the spark is happening at the right time.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by zone zero
So I worked on this for 3-4 hours tonight with a friend that's a mechanic , we checked all of the above, and came up with what we think might help but would run it by you guys first

We are going to set the engine to TDC then remove the ignition pack (where the distributor would be located) check it against the same year and model Cherokee that I have to see if its an issue with the trimming being off. Being the same year and engine the location and position of the pack should be the same.
That's all I've got for now. We are hopping its just a timeline issue and not something electrical/computer related.
Is there a way to check if the CPS is working corectly? Or needs to be replaced?
Yed there is a wsy to check cps. Im on my phone app or I would direct you yo it. Search for testing jeep cherokee CPS. You will need a multimeter.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by zone zero

Not mine:

"INSTALLATION - OIL PUMP DRIVE AND SENSOR
Clean oil pump drive mounting hole area of engine block.
Install new oil pump drive-to-engine block gasket.
Temporarily install a toothpick or similar tool through access hole at side of oil pump drive housing. Align toothpick into mating hole on pulse ring CMP Pulse Ring Alignment - 4.0L Engine
Install oil pump drive into engine while aligning into slot on oil pump. Rotate oil pump drive back to its original position and install hold-down clamp and bolt. Finger tighten bolt. Do not do a final tightening of bolt at this time.
If engine crankshaft or camshaft has been rotated, such as during engine tear-down, CMP sensor relationship must be reestablished.
Remove ignition coil rail assembly. Refer to Ignition Coil Removal/Installation.
Remove cylinder number 1 spark plug.
Hold a finger over the open spark plug hole. Rotate engine at vibration dampener bolt until compression (pressure) is felt.
Slowly continue to rotate engine. Do this until timing index mark on vibration damper pulley aligns with top dead center (TDC) mark (0 degree) on timing degree scale Align Timing Marks - 4.0L Engine Always rotate engine in direction of normal rotation. Do not rotate engine backward to align timing marks.
Install oil pump drive into engine while aligning into slot on oil pump. If pump drive will not drop down flush to engine block, the oil pump slot is not aligned. Remove oil pump drive and align slot in oil pump to shaft at bottom of drive. Install into engine. Rotate oil pump drive back to its original position and install hold-down clamp and bolt. Finger tighten bolt. Do not do a final tightening of bolt at this time.
Remove toothpick from housing.
Install sensor to oil pump drive. After installation, the CMP sensor should face rear of engine 0°.
Install 2 sensor mounting bolts and tighten to 2 N·m (15 in. lbs.) torque.
Connect electrical connector to CMP sensor.
If removed, install spark plug and ignition coil rail.
To verify correct rotational position of oil pump drive, the DRB scan tool must be used.

WARNING: WHEN PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING TEST, THE ENGINE WILL BE RUNNING. BE CAREFUL NOT TO STAND IN LINE WITH THE FAN BLADES OR FAN BELT. DO NOT WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING.

Connect DRB scan tool to data link connector. The data link connector is located in passenger compartment, below and to left of steering column.
Gain access to SET SYNC screen on DRB.
Follow directions on DRB screen and start engine. Bring to operating temperature (engine must be in "closed loop" mode)
With engine running at idle speed, the words IN RANGE should appear on screen along with 0°. This indicates correct position of oil pump drive.
If a plus (+) or a minus (-) is displayed next to degree number, and/or the degree displayed is not zero, loosen but do not remove hold-down clamp bolt. Rotate oil pump drive until IN RANGE appears on screen. Continue to rotate oil pump drive until achieving as close to 0° as possible.
The degree scale on SET SYNC screen of DRB is referring to fuel synchronization only. It is not referring to ignition timing. Because of this, do not attempt to adjust ignition timing using this method. Rotating oil pump drive will have no effect on ignition timing. All ignition timing values are controlled by powertrain control module (PCM)

Tighten hold-down clamp bolt to 23 N·m (17 ft. lbs.) torque."