Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Quick Disco Recommendations / Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Quick Disco Recommendations / Help?

Hey guys,

My XJ's suspension is pretty much shot, and so are my swaybar bushings (not the frame bushings) and end links. So, why not new end links? However, I plan on lifting my XJ soon as well but I would like to have solid end links before my drive out to school (I will do the lift on winter break).

So I figured I would get some quick disconnects, that way I could have them on the road and take them off for wheeling purposes. I also noticed some of them are adjustable, which would make even more sense, that way I don't have to buy two sets of end links (one for my stock setup and one for when it's lifted).

What would you guys recommend for end links that will work with 0"-3" of lift? I couldn't find any solid reviews / recommendations for end links so I figured I would post here.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 PM

Year: 1987
Model: Comanche

Unhook the sway bar and try it I am at 6.5" lift with bad shocks on my Comanche and drive with no sway bar as I drive it just like I do my trans am all my wheeling buddy's took them off also mine is a coat rack now
Old 08-23-2013, 08:22 PM

Well the only problem with that is that I am from California. People drive like LUNATICS out here. I am a great driver and very confident. But what people don't understand is that it's not the initial swerve from an accident or obstacle that will roll your Jeep ... it's the correction.. especially if you over-correct.

I agree with you in the sense that if my Jeep was seeing just surface roads / all off-road or low-speed driving, that would be fine. But I drive in CA and CO, which includes I-70 and the Loveland Pass. So, I would really like to have a swaybar on there for my safety and my passenger's safety.

Do you just wheel in your Comanche? Because my XJ is a DD too :/
Old 08-23-2013, 08:43 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stock links will work with 3"...

Get some of the studs Lowes sells with the holes in it, a couple washers and a.cotter pin...boom quick discos.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Xj88
stock links will work with 3"...

Get some of the studs Lowes sells with the holes in it, a couple washers and a.cotter pin...boom quick discos.
...it's really that simple? Should probably go with grade 8 hardware huh... OK, so I can just buy some replacement links and make my quick discos that way? That's pretty cool.... now for getting that pressed bolt out....
Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Originally Posted by andrewenglish

...it's really that simple? Should probably go with grade 8 hardware huh... OK, so I can just buy some replacement links and make my quick discos that way? That's pretty cool.... now for getting that pressed bolt out....
Yup.
grade 8. Can't think of the correct name for the "bolt" that you need that runs through the eyelet of the link and has several holes in it. Slide it through with a washer on it..and slip a.cotter pin through one of the open holes..

Then when your ready to.remove em just remove the cotter pin then the bolt and your golden.

If you can't find these thread less bolt things on referring to just drill a hole in a bolt.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Its a.clevis pin

http://www.4x4xplor.com/homediscos.html
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 PM

Thanks for that link! Awesome! What I don't understand though, is how does the stock swaybar link work with a 3" lift? Wouldn't the swaybar itself sit higher up, making it impossible to reinstall the end link?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Year: 1987
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by andrewenglish
Well the only problem with that is that I am from California. People drive like LUNATICS out here. I am a great driver and very confident. But what people don't understand is that it's not the initial swerve from an accident or obstacle that will roll your Jeep ... it's the correction.. especially if you over-correct.

I agree with you in the sense that if my Jeep was seeing just surface roads / all off-road or low-speed driving, that would be fine. But I drive in CA and CO, which includes I-70 and the Loveland Pass. So, I would really like to have a swaybar on there for my safety and my passenger's safety.

Do you just wheel in your Comanche? Because my XJ is a DD too :/
My jeep is a dd I also drive on the free way at 80+ over passes everything with no sway bar never been an issue even in super bad traffic it's not as bad as people think and my ride is so much better and saves me time at the trail head I just start airing down and I'm done. Most rollovers are not because of a sway bar being off... If anything my jeep turns better now
Old 08-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L H/O

I would strongly suggest keeping the sway bar on. It is a fact that the body will roll much more without a sway bar, making it more tippy.I made my own discos as well. I didn't even get one of those clevis pins, I just drilled a hole through the existing bolt, which is splined into the bracket on the axle. Then just some M10x1.5mm wing nuts for the top stud of the link. Make sure to use anti-sieze. The whole project took around 15 minutes.
Name:  swaybar_zps006797db.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  64.2 KB
Name:  image1_zpsa595b689.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  64.0 KB
Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 PM

I like what you did there for the top part of the end link! I will definitely employ that... for now I think I'll use:

Clevis fastener w/ cotter pin & washer
M10.5x1.5 Wingnuts on the top

(Thanks guys for including measurements!!)