Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Questions and Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre L6
Default Questions and Issues.

I have a Jeep Cherokee SE. Needless to say the SE package is pretty much a bare bones jeep which is fine by me for what i use my jeep for. So one thing that is missing and i would like is an oil pressure guage and a tachometer. Does anyone know of a webpage or where i can find how to install the oil pressure guage. Is it an electronic sender or mechanical, same question on the Tachometer.

One major problem i am having with my jeep is the passenger side door. Upon closer inspection someone tried to weld the top hinge to the frame and over the years the weld has pretty much let go so the door is esentially being held on by the bottom hinge and the door latch. Any recomendations or suggestions on getting this fixed would be appreciated. If anyone is in the Central Texas area and knows a damn good welder let me know.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 93
Engine: 4.0

well i aint from texas but all you would have to do to fix the hinge is cut out the rust and then weld a piece of sheet metal in place of it and i would weld nuts on to the back of that sheet metal to run bolts thru just for looks and i would rather do that cause its a closer to stock form than just the hinges welded on
Old 01-08-2009, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

Were you going to put a factory gauge set up in it, or aftermarket?
If aftermarket, I know most gauges have installation instructions, and Autometer's site has some info on it. I would imagine Stewart-Warner has the same thing...
Old 01-08-2009, 04:38 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

If rust is not the problem and the weld has just failed, clean up the hinge and have it re-welded. Both of mine are like that except they did a crappy job and my doors dont line up right. As far as the gauges you might look into swapping to a full gauge cluster.. I dont have any experience here so I cant comment if it is a direct swap or not.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I 6

Originally Posted by stoutjeep95
I have a Jeep Cherokee SE. Needless to say the SE package is pretty much a bare bones jeep which is fine by me for what i use my jeep for. So one thing that is missing and i would like is an oil pressure guage and a tachometer. Does anyone know of a webpage or where i can find how to install the oil pressure guage. Is it an electronic sender or mechanical, same question on the Tachometer.

One major problem i am having with my jeep is the passenger side door. Upon closer inspection someone tried to weld the top hinge to the frame and over the years the weld has pretty much let go so the door is esentially being held on by the bottom hinge and the door latch. Any recomendations or suggestions on getting this fixed would be appreciated. If anyone is in the Central Texas area and knows a damn good welder let me know.
i got a gage cluster if you want it pay shipping its your. ps i dont have an interior
Old 01-08-2009, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

If you're not sold on making it look OEM, I would recommend an after market mechanical oil pressure gauge because the factory ones are weak at best, as far as reading correct. There are lots of after market tachs that look cool and work great.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:36 PM

I am looking to use aftermarket guages.

As far as the weld what has happened is that rust has eaten the weld alive. So it seems i have to get some new sheetmetal welded.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Engine: 4.0L in all

I think Quadratec has an A-pillar gauge pod, and you can mount oil gauges pretty much anywhere... The tach you can mount on the column. Both are pretty easy to install.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by wicked_xj
i got a gage cluster if you want it pay shipping its your. ps i dont have an interior
If stoutjeep95 is not going to buy your cluster with a tach, I'd be interested in taking it off your hands. Does it fit in my 96? Do you know how to wire the tach my 96 SE without the tach? Do you have a pic of it?

PM me and we can figure price (again if stoutjeep95 is not interested). Please figure in shipping to 82801.

Thanks,
s
Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by smtippin
If stoutjeep95 is not going to buy your cluster with a tach, I'd be interested in taking it off your hands. Does it fit in my 96? Do you know how to wire the tach my 96 SE without the tach? Do you have a pic of it?

PM me and we can figure price (again if stoutjeep95 is not interested). Please figure in shipping to 82801.

Thanks,
s
It's yours if you want it. I am going for aftermarket guages. Still trying to find a good body man in my area that can weld up that hinge, I don't think that JB Weld would do in this case.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:19 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by stoutjeep95
It's yours if you want it. I am going for aftermarket guages. Still trying to find a good body man in my area that can weld up that hinge, I don't think that JB Weld would do in this case.
Thanks. I'm not sure where you live (didn't check), but when I was living in a small town, I went to a muffler shop and they welded just about anything I needed and they were really reasonably priced. I also lived in a labor industry driven community and the local iron shop would o just about anything for you for $10.

s