Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question on replacing Bushings and Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Question on replacing Bushings and Shocks

Hey, I have a 1996 Cherokee Classic with the 4.0l HO engine. Has a 3 inch RC lift with leaf springs in the back.

Lately my car's been unbearable to drive, shocks are pretty much gone and wobble's all over the road. I took a look underneath and everything seems pretty much secure, except the bushings are almost disintegrated lol.

So i've been looking into getting both my bushings and shocks replaced. Installing them is not a problem, i'm not too car savvy, but my buddy is a mechanic. I just needed some recommendations on parts.

For the bushings, I couldn't find much for a complete set besides these?
-http://www.jcwhitney.com/total-kit-s...02d1163y1996j1
-http://www.jcwhitney.com/complete-po...161&zmap=76968
-http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...n/1-2004J.html
-http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5/...5g1760mabuki85

I can't really tell the difference between any of these kits...I'm not looking for anything, besides to make my car ride better and smooth out the wobbles.

And as for shocks, I researched them anyways, seems that everyone is recommending Monroe shocks. I was just confused on which part number to use.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co...dget_boost.htm
-On that site, he added a 2 inch lift, and went with the Monroe part #37193 on front, and #37029 on the back.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm
-On here however, he said for a 3 inch lift he recommends #59352 for fronts, and #59578 for backs

I was thinking of going with the second link's opinion of #59352/59578, but wanted to get opinions first.

Thanks alot!

Edit - Oh, and anything else that I should go ahead and replace on the suspension while I'm at it? Parts that are more likely to be worn out and I should check out? Thanks!

Last edited by dontblink182; 12-05-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 PM

Anyone? This forum moves too fast...lol
Old 12-06-2010, 09:03 PM

Which RC lift did you get?

I've been shopping for a good kit and one of the things I am really looking for in the kit is the lower control arms. This would give me new bushings also (mine are shot too)

If you still have the stock control arms I would think that the stock replacement bushings would be fairly reasonable.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 PM

I really have no idea...how would I be able to tell? I bought it about 6 months ago, and it had already been lifted. The guy was selling it for his son, and didn't really know what had been replaced on the car.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by kstrooper
Which RC lift did you get?

I've been shopping for a good kit and one of the things I am really looking for in the kit is the lower control arms. This would give me new bushings also (mine are shot too)

If you still have the stock control arms I would think that the stock replacement bushings would be fairly reasonable.
are all bushings the same? My whole suspension is pretty worn out...my jeep swerves on the road because my bushings are gone, need to buy some fast
Old 12-06-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by dontblink182
are all bushings the same? My whole suspension is pretty worn out...my jeep swerves on the road because my bushings are gone, need to buy some fast
DB182, I don't know but a 2 minute call to NAPA or Advance AP will tell you. Are you sure that it's swerving because of bushings? When I first bought my 2000 it had a bad steering box and it was ALL over the road.

Pretty easy to diagnose (lots of play in steering) and it only took me about 6 hours to replace it. I'm old and slow. The reason I am wanting to change my bushings (or entire control arm) is that I have a loud creaking noise that I have traced to that area.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by kstrooper
DB182, I don't know but a 2 minute call to NAPA or Advance AP will tell you. Are you sure that it's swerving because of bushings? When I first bought my 2000 it had a bad steering box and it was ALL over the road.

Pretty easy to diagnose (lots of play in steering) and it only took me about 6 hours to replace it. I'm old and slow. The reason I am wanting to change my bushings (or entire control arm) is that I have a loud creaking noise that I have traced to that area.
Actually I wasn't too sure, but I know my bushings and shocks have to be replaced just by how they look...lol.

How would I check for sure if it's my steering box? there is alot of play in the steering, random swerving, etc, but i always thought it was a combination of my bad shocks, bushings, tires, and alignment...
Old 12-06-2010, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by dontblink182
Actually I wasn't too sure, but I know my bushings and shocks have to be replaced just by how they look...lol.

How would I check for sure if it's my steering box? there is alot of play in the steering, random swerving, etc, but i always thought it was a combination of my bad shocks, bushings, tires, and alignment...
Pop the hood, start the engine, turn the steering wheel just a little bit. Your wheels should be turning with a very slight movement of the steering wheel. Mine had almost 2" of movement before the tires started to move. Yeah, it was scary sloppy. First thing I fixed.

New box was $100 bucks at NAPA, steering box spacer $30 online. New hardware $8, Going straight down the road, priceless.