Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question about a removed catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Question about a removed catalytic converter

Hi,
I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ.
I am not a gear head! I went to the local muffler shop to find out why my Jeep was so noisy. Everything looked fine to me but was noisy and a bit rusty but still hanging in there. They put it up on the lift with it running showing me the inside of my muffler was rattling around and I had leaks on either side of the catalytic converter. My tail pipe was stainless so that was still good and the pipe from the motor back to the converter was still good. Their fix was to cut out converter and add a piece of pipe and weld in a new muffler. From my research I've just done I found out there are two more converters near the motor that have 02 sensors for the computer but the one they cut out does not have any. They told me it could be removed and it wouldn't effect anything and still pass Massachusetts inspections.

Is this a problem? Is my Jeep going to run fine. I just drove to work and it seems OK to me.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Where are the hall monitors?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

If the cat is bad, replace it. Not put a piece of pipe in. It's illegal to pull it and leave it off. Nationally. This thread will most likely be locked soon.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cherokee19
Hi,
I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee XJ.
I am not a gear head! I went to the local muffler shop to find out why my Jeep was so noisy. Everything looked fine to me but was noisy and a bit rusty but still hanging in there. They put it up on the lift with it running showing me the inside of my muffler was rattling around and I had leaks on either side of the catalytic converter. My tail pipe was stainless so that was still good and the pipe from the motor back to the converter was still good. Their fix was to cut out converter and add a piece of pipe and weld in a new muffler. From my research I've just done I found out there are two more converters near the motor that have 02 sensors for the computer but the one they cut out does not have any. They told me it could be removed and it wouldn't effect anything and still pass Massachusetts inspections.

Is this a problem? Is my Jeep going to run fine. I just drove to work and it seems OK to me.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
If Mass does a visual inspection you will fail. As far as if it will effect what the obd2 machine says, no it wont know the difference as there is no sensor after that cat. If they do a tailpipe sniff it will be a problem. That said, It is technically illegal to remove the cat from any vehicle in all states. The forum rules prohibit discussion of this matter so this thread will probably get shut down soon. Good luck.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:38 PM

I didn't remove it. I was just asking a question about my situation. What good is a forum if I can't ask a question about a shop removing a converter from my car and telling me it was fine. So now I have to have one installed? WFT?
Old 05-27-2014, 10:40 PM

Is there a forum somewhere to help people with questions about converters? Or can someone send me a PM? What is the big deal...this shop butchered me!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

Yes get one put back in. No further discussion is necessary.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:45 PM

What does it do if there are two converters ahead of it? Just wanting some answers...not rob a bank.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

While you're at it, alert the Feds to the shop. Maybe you can get part of the $10,000.00 fine. And a new converter. And the money they sold your original one for.

Make sure they put a Mopar one back on. They cost a lot more than aftermarket.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:47 PM

**** ..could someone recommend where I can get a good one online.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:49 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 I6

performance-curve.com
Old 05-27-2014, 10:57 PM

Thanks you...sorry for posting about my converter issue.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

summitracing.com has converters at what I believe are reasonable prices but I haven't compared lately. I also don't know if all converters are acceptable in all 49 states.

You haven't done anything wrong. AFAIK all forums prohibit debates about running without a cat. They do not prohibit discussions about catalytic converters per se which are, after all, a very real part of motor vehicles.

Last edited by Pelican; 05-27-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:17 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

Originally Posted by Cherokee19
What does it do if there are two converters ahead of it? Just wanting some answers...not rob a bank.
Ive never heard of having more converters unless you have dual exhaust which Ive never seen on a XJ of any sort. Sounds like they are a chop shop, from what I hear you can scrap a converter for about $100 due to some of the metals inside, but that is more than likely illegal as you have to remove the cat.

I also believe if they remove the O2 sensor behind the cat converter it will trip an alarm in the computer, however you can hide any alarms from showing on the dash but they still should show up on a plug in scanner.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998

I don't see why it would fail, considering he still has 2 other cats. It's stupid to have that many any way. All of our other XJ's have 1 cat.

Quick Reply: Question about a removed catalytic converter