Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question about remanufactured engine with 0331 head

Old 07-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Question about remanufactured engine with 0331 head

I own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. The previous owner had told me when I bought it that the cylinder head cracked (typical 0331 head problem) and instead of just replacing the cylinder head he bought a completely remanufactured motor for around $2000 from LKQ.

He was a master tech at an Inifinti dealership so he installed the engine himself. He gave me the paperwork for the motor and everything when I bought it, the motor at this point has roughly 20k miles on it.

One thing I was concerned about is that I noticed the motor still has a 0331 head. I took off the oil cap, looked straight down, and don't see any 'TUPY' marking on it, so this worried me even more. I get the impression that while the motor is completely remanufactured that it still has the 0331 head on it.

The previous owner when I talked to him (at the time of purchase) knew all about the 0331 heads and what not, so it seems to me that he would be stupid to put another faulty head on there, but when I bought it I never bothered to check the numbers on the new cylinder head.

So, my question is this... Should I be worried? Would a completely remanufactured motor from a reputable source (LKQ) still have a faulty cylinder head or do the places that remanufacture them beef them up in any way?

I have absolutely no leaks, my oil is not milky at all, the radiator doesn't bubble, and the temperature always stays about 210 (though it sometimes goes a tiny bit over 210 in traffic with the AC on). The coolant bottle is low but I'm pretty sure when I got it from him that's how it was.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

So, my question is this... Should I be worried? Would a completely remanufactured motor from a reputable source (LKQ) still have a faulty cylinder head or do the places that remanufacture them beef them up in any way?
I suspect the only way to get an accurate answer is to call LKQ and ask where the head came from.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Good point. I don't see the 'TUPY' letters on the head so that's what concerns me.

That being said I'm just wondering if a 0331 head without the 'TUPY' mark is junk or if somehow there's a way of 'reinforcing' the 0331 head when it's remanufactured.

I'll call LKQ this week during business hours.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

I'll go out on a limb here and state that *most* of those heads never experience a problem. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/how...9-01-xj-68400/

I'm not saying there isn't the possibility, just that it is far from a certainty.
I drove one well past 200K before having it totaled in an accident. No head issues. There's plenty of them out there chugging along just fine.
Keep an eye on it, keep it cool and you'll most likely be fine.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Well I just refilled the coolant overflow bottle and I'll keep an eye on it and make sure I'm not losing any coolant.

The Jeep runs fine, leaks nothing, and the oil is not milky or anything. It normally runs around 210 on the temp gauge but sometimes in traffic at idle it will get to 215 or 220 at the very most. Is that a normal temperature range?

Oil pressure looks great (according to the gauge at least).
Old 07-07-2012, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PumpinIron View Post
It normally runs around 210 on the temp gauge but sometimes in traffic at idle it will get to 215 or 220 at the very most. Is that a normal temperature range?
That's roughly where mine has always run with the A/C on. A bit cooler- 10 deg or so- with it off.

eta: Any idea why the coolant bottle was low? Do keep an eye on that..
Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Seasoned Member

I can't comment for certain on the coolant level. I never checked it when I bought it so it may have just been that he never fully filled it up.

I filled it today so I'll keep a close eye on it.

One thing is for sure, this guy gave me receipts for EVERYTHING! He put in a completely remanufactured engine, a new radiator, new water pump, new transmission cooler, new thermostat, new fan clutch, etc. The entire cooling system as well as the engine is basically new.

Seems like the guy I bought it from was a pretty knowledgeable Jeep guy which is why I'm wondering why he would put a remanufactured engine in that had another 0331 cylinder head (one without the TUPY marking at least).
Old 07-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

Originally Posted by Radi View Post
I'll go out on a limb here and state that *most* of those heads never experience a problem. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/how...9-01-xj-68400/

I'm not saying there isn't the possibility, just that it is far from a certainty.
I drove one well past 200K before having it totaled in an accident. No head issues. There's plenty of them out there chugging along just fine.
Keep an eye on it, keep it cool and you'll most likely be fine.
I'm with Radi on this. Don't get all crazy about it! The INTERNET blows things out of paportion.
Keep an eye on for a couple weeks to make sure the guy didn't sell you one that had a problem and enjoy your XJ. If it cracks, replace the head an drive it some more.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by PumpinIron View Post
I own a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. The previous owner had told me when I bought it that the cylinder head cracked (typical 0331 head problem) and instead of just replacing the cylinder head he bought a completely remanufactured motor for around $2000 from LKQ.

He was a master tech at an Inifinti dealership so he installed the engine himself. He gave me the paperwork for the motor and everything when I bought it, the motor at this point has roughly 20k miles on it.

One thing I was concerned about is that I noticed the motor still has a 0331 head. I took off the oil cap, looked straight down, and don't see any 'TUPY' marking on it, so this worried me even more. I get the impression that while the motor is completely remanufactured that it still has the 0331 head on it.

The previous owner when I talked to him (at the time of purchase) knew all about the 0331 heads and what not, so it seems to me that he would be stupid to put another faulty head on there, but when I bought it I never bothered to check the numbers on the new cylinder head.

I have absolutely no leaks, my oil is not milky at all, the radiator doesn't bubble, and the temperature always stays about 210 (though it sometimes goes a tiny bit over 210 in traffic with the AC on). The coolant bottle is low but I'm pretty sure when I got it from him that's how it was.
Sorry I cant help you much but I am currently looking for a remanufactured engine for my 200 XJ. I looked at Advance Auto and AutoZone and their prices are good and have good warranty. But all of those still have the 0331 heads. The guys at the store cant give me an answer as to why that head is being used. I dont know if those are new heads with no defect or just old 0331 heads that have been gone over. I am in a pickle now. I dont want another engine with a potentially faulty head, a 98 reman as far as I know is not a direct swap, and getting a reman engine and replaceing a head on it right away is another $600.00. Did you ever find out from LKQ about the head?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:02 PM
Seasoned Member

No, I never found out from LKQ, I suspect they probably don't even know about the 0331 head issue to begin with.

On the bright side, I had a slight coolant leak but it turns out it has nothing to do with the head, it was a slight leak coming from around the radiator area!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

LKQ is not a remanufacturing outfit. LKQ stands for Like Kind and Quality and they're in the business of reselling good used automotive parts and assemblies. They buy totaled vehicles from the insurance companies and dismantle them for the good re-sellable stuff. Your PO didn't buy a reman. He simply bought a good, clean used engine and replaced the old one with it.