Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question about after replacing floor pans

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Question about after replacing floor pans

Just started on the project about a year ago. 96 xj so far i've replaced powersteering pump, crank sensor, starter, water pump, catalytic converter, exhaust, intake. in about a week or 2 i'm replacing the shackles and i'm gona put coil spacers up front. then lift and tires enentually...but right now now i'm working on the body. So my buddy is a very good welder and is patching my floor boards up for me. the only thing I'm having trouble understanding is what to do afterwards. seal? under coat? what needs to go on the inside? i have everything else down pretty well just having trouble understanding exactly what to do after the welding is done. and one more question...it needs an under coating. i was thinking about por-15 or rihno line but i was curious if for some odd reason that would fail inspection? i have no idea why but i have heard rumors about it...i don't see why it would but i'm new to the forum and this is my first project so help would be appreciated!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

After the welding is done its completely up to you what you put inside, if you are going to be doing a lot of wheeling then you may want to look into por-15 or bedliner I would say por-15 if you are putting carpet back in because you can put it on bare metal, on my XJ I took the carpet out sanded th esurface rust primed and bedlined the interior. So its really your preference but either option is good. As for passing inspection on the underbody you may want to contact your states DMV and get th elist of whats is looked at during inspection. Good Luck