Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Question about ac compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 03:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Question about ac compressor

Be got a 99 and had to remove the ac compressor last year. In a pinch I out a bypass pulley on it so everything was right with the world again! Now what I don't understand is that when I had it in and plugged in when temps got high enough my e fan would turn on like normal. Or if I was really sitting in traffic or towing I would put the temp control to defrost and that would kick the fan on. (Ac system had a leak anyway so didn't work). My question is ever since I removed the compressor the e fan won't turn on anymore ever? I've tried messing with electrical plug for the compressor and ground it and all sorts of things to get the same operation I had before. Any ideas on why this may be? I guess I don't fully understand the effect that the compressor has on the e fan operation? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-20-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O

Originally Posted by Guntar13
Be got a 99 and had to remove the ac compressor last year. In a pinch I out a bypass pulley on it so everything was right with the world again! Now what I don't understand is that when I had it in and plugged in when temps got high enough my e fan would turn on like normal. Or if I was really sitting in traffic or towing I would put the temp control to defrost and that would kick the fan on. (Ac system had a leak anyway so didn't work). My question is ever since I removed the compressor the e fan won't turn on anymore ever? I've tried messing with electrical plug for the compressor and ground it and all sorts of things to get the same operation I had before. Any ideas on why this may be? I guess I don't fully understand the effect that the compressor has on the e fan operation? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
The 2 are in related. Unless somehow you accidentally screw up the fan circuit removing the AC comoressor. Try checking your relays. You can also test the fan motor by disconnecting then fan plug and running a wire from each terminal of the battery to each port in the connector. Polarity won't matter. If it spins your problem is else where like a relay or temp switch. It may not be prefers but if the fab is good then you can just wire it direct to a switch on the dash and manually turn it on and off.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

You may want to check the fuses in the PDC and JB.

Name:  99PDCREV3_26_14.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  446.9 KB

#10 fuse in the JB is for the Rad Fan Relay, A/C Compressor Clutch, Transmission Range Sensor (NSS) and Duty Cycle Evap/Purge Solenoid.

If you transmission works okay and the purge solenoid clicks, fuse #10 is probably okay, but check it anyway.

Name:  99XJJunctionBlock.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  78.1 KB
Old 04-20-2015, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for that diagram. I have checked all the fuses numerous times and they are always good. I just don't understand how having the compressor wired in which is a single wire for the clutch and it grounds itself to the body of the compressor would make the fan turn off and on? I even tried messing around and grounding that wire out and still no go. Puzzling to me how that giant piece is the "key" in a sense to making the fan work like it's supposed to. I really hate to wire it to a switch but am getting closer in thinking that's what I should do...