Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Quadratec description misleading!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Quadratec description misleading!!

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17010_008.htm

I ordered this because I thought I had found the only cold air intake on the market for the Renix era 4.0 liter engine. WRONG!!! What I got was an air tube, like Rusty's!! It uses the current rubber air tube and adapts a K&N style filter on to it. I just got off the phone with Quadratec trying to explain to the "customer service representative" and was asked to send him a picture of it!! A picture, you guys sold it to me, you don't have a picture of it. He kept saying "what do you not like about this, I have a picture of it here and it looks right to me." I proceeded to tell him that I received an adapter not the full intake like the picture shows. I don't know that he ever got it!!! VERY FRUSTRATING!!! After the conversation was over I was offered nothing and all he said was that he would talk to the Marketing Dept. about it, to see if they "think" that it should be changed. He told me that I was the first person to feel like they were mislead by it. Overall I am pleased with the product, it just isn't what I thought I was ordering. I don't like being mislead, and feel like that is what happened!! What do you guys think?? Would you feel mislead by this?? I will post pictures of the intake later, I'm at work right know and the XJ is at home. Peace out Jeepers!!
Old 06-19-2008, 05:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input, my limited experience with quad has been very good and quick. Im sorry to hear about your bad experience.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Looks like you may have been sent the wrong product?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2005
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.7

I think if you are pleased with it keep it but I think you can get it cheaper other places. The new catalog from Quad. tech had all kinds of misprints and when you called all they would say is it was a mistake. I tried to get them to honor some stuff but they wouldn't. I will still order from them again very, very quick on the shipping to me anyway.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I-6

So you didn't get what was in the picture?
Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Do you hear banjos?

No, I got an 8" peice of steel tubing with a fitting welded in it midway for the VC vent hose. One end of it connects to the K&N style filter and the other end fits inside the factory rubber tube to the throttle body. I am pleased with it, I have really only drove it a very small amount, maybe 5 miles, so it's hard to say. It did seem to have a little more pep. IDK, I have been driving a Geo Metro, a mo-ped would feel powerful!!LOL!! I also commute on my motorcycle when it's nice, which it has been real nice lately. Anyway, like I said,I think it is an improvement, just not what was pictured or described.I thought Quad would offer more help, but they didn't!! Lesson learned!! Peace out guys!!
Old 06-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

The only good looking Renix air intake that I have seen is in the Quadratec Dual battery set-up. That intake is not sold seperately either so I have not purchased it. The one in their older adds for a Renix was not any better than my fabbed up crap so I never bought it either. The point of a cold air intake is to get cold air and I think that air picked up on the drivers side is preheated by the exhaust and the air intake should have the filter on the passenger side not the drivers side of the engine.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:16 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have one of the rusty's tube things that fits to the factory rubber tube and then a filter clamps to the other end..I got it from a friend who bought it and never used it. Seems to fit fine and does the job..Not sure it's worth the $30 bucks since you could make one for less then $10 if you had a welder..
Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I 6

4wd or ok 4wd
Old 06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Originally Posted by wicked_xj
4wd or ok 4wd
What??
Old 06-20-2008, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by COSXJFAN
What??
he means by from them. 4wd hardware Anytime you are not pleased with a product from them, they will fix it on the spot, unlike quadratec.

Maybe the image they are using is for the current xj model.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:03 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Thanks for the translation Mudd!! I had no idea what he was getting at. Unfortunately they did not have what I "thought" I was looking for!! I'll know next time, though! Thanks much!! Peace out!!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Do you hear banjos?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17010_008.htm
Ok, finally got a pic of the part in question. This is the link to the description on Quad, and this is what I received. Would you guys feel mislead?

Or am I over reacting?? Let me know!! Peace out guys!!
Old 06-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

You got the right filter but all the rest is wrong. That tube is what they need to send you and the short rubber coupling.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Do you hear banjos?

They do not make a whole tube for the Renix era engines. This is the story I got from the guy at Quad!! As I recall, I have not seen one for the Renix at all. I think you said in an earlier post that there is a dual batt. set up that comes with one. I havn't seen that one either. If you know something that I don't, spill it!! Thanks!! Later!!

Quick Reply: Quadratec description misleading!!