Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Puzzled by malfunctioning lights..Any help???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Puzzled by malfunctioning lights..Any help???

The other night I ran in the house and left the xj running. I came out less then five minutes later and the first thing I notice is that my dashboard gauge lights are off. Then I noticed that the lights on the gearshift were off. Then when I opened the door again I noticed that the door buzzer is not working. The AC/Heater light is off as well which I actually replaced when I first bought it in August.

The first thing I thought was a fuse, but they checked out okay. Any thoughts or ideas I can check??? It is a 1996 XJ 4.0 4x4 Country Edition.

Things that are working:

Radio light, warning lights on left side (ex. low washer fluid), low gas warning light(did this on purpose to see if it would work), all other interior lights including glove box, all exterior lights.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-27-2010, 12:03 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O.

I would start by checking the voltage at an easy spot like the gearshift or 4wd indicator if you have 4wd, and if voltage then somehow toasted bulbs and buzzer, which I doubt, I suspect you won't find any voltage. It's unusual that chime is also not working. You might also want to pull the INST LPS fuse and check the voltage there with the lights on and see if it varies with headlight switch, headlamp switch is sort of a potentiometer so the voltage at the INST LPS should vary from like 12-13 VDC on down as you would dim lights on headlight switch. Problem seems very unusual, as it seems everything in that circuit is down, so I would think the radio light wouldn't work either, but thats going off of a haynes manual. If you have no voltage at the fuse for INST LPS then I would check out head lamp switch, but it would seem you would have to have voltage there if radio light works. So to sum it up, I would check voltage at an easy spot like gearshift light, then check at the fuse, and go from there, but like I said I'm looking at a hayne's manual and its very generic
Old 01-27-2010, 12:58 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O.

After doing some more looking around it appears your interior light system (at least a 95 xj, that's all I could find schematic for) is quite different then the information I gave you before from the haynes manual. Attached is a link that provides all the information you should need to figure this out if you have access to a multimeter, sorry pics are out of order, and your best bet would probably be reading pages 1 and 2 then checking grounds and power, I would probably start at page 8 and 9 after the reading.

http://s637.photobucket.com/albums/u...r%20schematic/
Old 01-27-2010, 02:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Sometimes when you test fuses with a test light they will test good, but really be bad. Pull the fuse that powers the following(on fuse will most likely transer power to all of these stated) and check and see if it is bad. Elimate that before you put yourself through hell. It could be a simple task.