Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ps fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default ps fluid question

The other day I loaded up the Jeep for a day of out doors adventures, before I left I decided to check the fluids and make sure they were all good as the other day I had seen a trail from my house to the enterance of the neghiborhood. Turns out my power steering fluid was at the add level, recently I had my steering box retuned b/c of a dead spot in the steering wheel. I'm thinking that when they removed the steering box they lost a little fluid and though with the level in there I would be alright? I added some more to the hot level after driving the car and getting it to the normal operating temp. My question is if the dipstick for the p/s fluid is at add do you add more or is it okay at that level.

**I also think the trail of fluid may have come from the exhaust system as I discovered a tiny hole in the muffler and I think it may be filled with a little water (from the snow and rain we've had here) and its spraying out from that hole as the jeep is running. but this is good news as if my jeep starts getting louder i can do the flowmaster 44 series upgrade!! (probably wont happen though)** Offnote thingy for you guys..... sorry
Old 02-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Seasoned Member

anyone??????
Old 02-21-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by xjwanted
The other day I loaded up the Jeep for a day of out doors adventures, before I left I decided to check the fluids and make sure they were all good as the other day I had seen a trail from my house to the enterance of the neghiborhood. Turns out my power steering fluid was at the add level, recently I had my steering box retuned b/c of a dead spot in the steering wheel. I'm thinking that when they removed the steering box they lost a little fluid and though with the level in there I would be alright? I added some more to the hot level after driving the car and getting it to the normal operating temp. My question is if the dipstick for the p/s fluid is at add do you add more or is it okay at that level.

**I also think the trail of fluid may have come from the exhaust system as I discovered a tiny hole in the muffler and I think it may be filled with a little water (from the snow and rain we've had here) and its spraying out from that hole as the jeep is running. but this is good news as if my jeep starts getting louder i can do the flowmaster 44 series upgrade!! (probably wont happen though)** Offnote thingy for you guys..... sorry
it wont hurt to top it off after all it wont burn though it it just cycles from the pump to the gear box and anytime u have a trail dont be afaid to use ur finger to touch it to make sure its not oily or water
Old 02-21-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by hugh8170
it wont hurt to top it off after all it wont burn though it it just cycles from the pump to the gear box and anytime u have a trail dont be afaid to use ur finger to touch it to make sure its not oily or water
also the flowmaster upgrade is the thing to do i just got done with mine and it sounds badass
Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Seasoned Member

it probably would have been a good idea for me to stop and check out the trail of fluid but i was late to school at that time, damn opportunity missed and now im in the dark about what it was and what that could mean!!!!!

well the exhaust is fine right now and the hole is a tiny little pin *****. when i started it yesterday i saw a lotttttt of condensation from the exhaust and just to be safe checked it out thats when i noticed the pin ***** in the exhaust because the water was spraying out and getting on me its like the mist setting ona a hose.

AND btw i always check a fluid on the grond around my car that how i caught my coolant leak tunred out that time a hose was loose thye tightened the clamp and i was good to go!!!!!