Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Problem solved! High pitched whining noise!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Problem solved! High pitched whining noise!

Ok so I have had my Xj now about a month and since I have gotten it, it has had this super high pitched noise that was coming from the engine bay. Its like dog whistle high pitched!

kinda like an electrical whine. been driving me NUTS!!! I have dressed the belt, checked the idler pullies..altenator pretty much anything I could think of that would cause such noise.

It was a little more high pitched than any other vacuum leak I have ever heard. But thats what it was.

here is a video of the noise!

I took a piece of some tubing(like 1/4 inch vacuum line I think) stuck it in my ear this morning and started searching(again- I did this once before) well just as I was checking around I found it was coming from the brake booster. I noticed there was not hose clamps on the line and it wasnt as tight as I liked for my booster vacuum line to be. so I pulled the check valve, and rubber grommet to put some hose clamps on and while I was at it inspected the rubber grommet put it back but when I inspected the check valve noticed this crack.

so I replaced the check valve with a new one, and for good measure replaced the grommet and added hose clamps.

I hope this helps someone with a similar noise. this kind of thing can make you go crazy!
Attached Thumbnails Problem solved! High pitched whining noise!-img_20130929_104506_675.jpg   Problem solved! High pitched whining noise!-img_20130929_112016_902.jpg