Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Problem with Hatch after Hitch Install????

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Problem with Hatch after Hitch Install????

I had a problem with the hatch door binding after I installed a receiver hitch on my '98. The door was binding and I had to tug on it to get it free. I had removed the bumper, installed a nut strip on the left side (right side was factory installed) and installed the receiver. I thought maybe the bumper was out of alignment, so I removed the hitch (to access the bumper mounts), loosened the bumper mounting bolts, and checked the door operation. All was good. I re-tightened the bumper and checked the door (still ok). I reinstalled the hitch and back to the door sticking. What gets me is that when I jack the hitch into place all 8 bolts are aligned (no maneuvering or prying required to align). Has anyone run into this problem before? Does the 2 bolts closest to the bumper (the 2 that are outside the frame channel need installed)? I'm not sure those 2 bolts were installed on the '92 XJ I pulled the hitch from. There was no problem opening the hatch on it (except for the missing struts someone had already pulled). Any and all help greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Searcher; 10-28-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:42 PM

I'll answer this myself. After 2 days work, removing the hitch and bumper again yesterday, and reinstalling one bolt at a time checking liftgate operation after every step the liftgate stuck after the last bolt was put in. I loosened all the bolts on the hitch today and still had a slight drag on the liftgate. I opened and closed the gate several times each time looking for a point of interference. Nothing found. Suddenly the gate stuck firm. I had to get my fingers into the gap to break it free. About 30 seconds of WD40 and problem solved. The liftgate has never had a problem opening and decided to pick the same time I installed a hitch to fail (unbelievable).
Old 10-29-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 5.2

Originally Posted by Searcher
I'll answer this myself. After 2 days work, removing the hitch and bumper again yesterday, and reinstalling one bolt at a time checking liftgate operation after every step the liftgate stuck after the last bolt was put in. I loosened all the bolts on the hitch today and still had a slight drag on the liftgate. I opened and closed the gate several times each time looking for a point of interference. Nothing found. Suddenly the gate stuck firm. I had to get my fingers into the gap to break it free. About 30 seconds of WD40 and problem solved. The liftgate has never had a problem opening and decided to pick the same time I installed a hitch to fail (unbelievable).
Get some brake clean in there to clear out all the old grease, dirt and build up. Then use a good dry lubricant to get everything working properly again.

WD40 is one of the worst things to try and use for a lubricant. It will attract so much dirt and debris.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:07 PM

Dry lube...... Military was big into that stuff. I agree that it is great for rust protection (as long as it is applied often but lube qualities really are almost non existant. I've used wd40 and oil squirt cans on hinges and pins for 60 years and never had one fail as long as it stayed lubed.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:12 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You do realize the body may have been tweeked a bit at one time and the trailer hitch is trying to straighten it? If it's just that one bolt, try a shim washer under it. Or maybe it's the hitch that's tweeked.