Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Pressure wash carpets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 11:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Pressure wash carpets?

Simple straightforward question. I have no carpets in my xj currently because when i put a new floorpan in it i had someone "bedline" it for me because i simply didnt have the time or tools for it and it was a gift as well. Anyways straight to the point the ding nut used a very crappy bedliner that i dont even think its bedliner and is very thin. I figured with bedliner i would have no need for carpets. Man was i wrong because this heat and noise is very noticeable. Anyways i still have my old carpets in the shed that is piled with leaves and sand most likely. My question is that was pulled from when i had tons of water and rust in my jeep still. Picture below of what the padding looks like. Can this be washed with a pressure washer? and if so what should i use for cleaner? i want this very clean. (btw that rust is long gone) It came out quite clean topside but with my leak it got soaked underneath in the padding and over the months of vacuuming out a pool of water it made it look very clean lol.

Edit: The rust in the jeep is gone the carpets looks exactly like that still.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look online to see how cheap you can get new carpet.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Here is where I got my carpet kit from if you decide to go the new route.

Stockinteriors.com
Old 08-24-2017, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

That is way out of my budget range sadly. Im gonna attempt to wash this and dry in the sun. If it goes then oh well if it works then yay! im not trying to be a d*** but the junkyard carpets all look like that either that or people destroyed the carpets or are just to disgusting to rewash. There was the perfect carpet but some guy stuck the transmission on it and leaked trans fluid all over it and was drenched with fluid. I hate when people destroy good parts like that. Because in doing so he crushed the center console that was in very good shape along with the rest of the interior.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Try using super clean on the carpets before you pressure wash it. Should come in a purple bottle. Works very well
Old 08-24-2017, 08:46 PM
CF Veteran

Oh sounds fancy ill have to try it out, thanks! Im only doing this so the floor wells dont get unbearably hot.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

I made a concoction with laundry detergent and sprayed the carpet down with a pump sprayer. Then just rinsed it a lot with the garden hose. Use the stream or jet setting on the sprayer. Maybe just spray the carpet side. That way all the nasty stuff from the padding will wash out away from the carpet instead of into it. And if you spray the padding it may fall apart.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Sorry it ran kinda late. I went to lkq junkyard when it was labor day week and 40% off everything. So having 3 hours to get what we needed i cpouldnt get all that i wanted but carpets were one of them and man 7 bucks is worth it and i pressure washed them with simple green and they look brand new and smell like bubble gum lol. cant complaining at all. Im just waiting for them to dry and ill take pictures of the results. Figured id show the outcome when theyre installed. Cant believe its so hard finding my body style anywhere....
Old 09-05-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut out the front carpet in mine, but left it over the transmission tunnel. Then I took the rear carpet out, removed all the insulation from the back and re-installed it. Keeps the noise and heat down and hopefully it won't suck up water like the old insulation did.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

mine looks like that, maybe not that bad so i'm thinking of trying to wash it.

the worst part is the insulation material that absorbed the rust/water mix so I will probably ditch the worst part and get some new sound deadening material. do you know what's the best to use?
Old 09-05-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 238 Likes on 138 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 L

I pressure washed mine a few years ago and they turned out great. I also used Simple Green. I took them out before replacing the rusty floors. Like the OP, I had rust crud on the bottom of the carpets but it came off fairly easily. I just propped them up upside down on a saw horse and blasted them with my pressure washer. A day in the sun dried them up.

I'm a firm believer in using floor mats such as Husky Liners. I use the ones with a lip around the perimeter so they retain water. If previous owners of my XJ used them I think there would have been a lot less rust damage to the floors and carpets.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:24 AM
CF Veteran

All done! I decided to say screw it to my old carpets that were trashed and picked up different ones at a junkyard and got them for 7 bucks! Anyways heres a small process and man my interior looks good now and sounds quieter, stays cooler and now rides like a mercedes.... Ok it doesnt i can dream tho lol it feels more solid down the road which is odd.

The victim should have yoinked those brake adjusters as most of those small parts are free!

You would NOT believe the nightmare i went through to get those out with pouring rain and 3 hours to get what i needed and go before closing

After pressure washing and using simple green these came out great!

Before the process and saying goodbye to seeing the cheap bedliner

And in with the carpets!

I have to say these came out great and clean

Why you little *Bleep*