Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Windows Issues!!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L
Default Power Windows Issues!!

So for a while now, every passenger window can not open or close itself using the adjacent window button. They do however work when they are operated from the driver controls. Any ideas as to why?

Also, my sunroof opens fine, but it will no longer close. I discovered this a while back, when on some random days the close button would work, and now it doesn't work at all. Needless to say, i've had a few passengers get yelled at for deciding to let some sun in. Any thoughts on this would be great also.

Brandon
Old 06-26-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Yes, I know exactly why your passenger window is acting up and it's an extremely common problem.

Look at your master switch. See that little button that locks the windows so the passengers can't use them?

Well, chances are, the wire that leads from that button to the inside of the Jeep has broken, therefore leaving the circuit open, which is exactly what the switch does - and exactly why your passenger door switch no longer works. It's stuck in permanent lock-out.

There's a right way and an easy way to fix it.

Right Way:
Pull the rubber boot between the door and the body and find the broken wire, then repair/replace it.

Easy Way:
Pull the trim panel to the left of the brake pedal (or clutch if you have one) and look for a connector that has a yellow and brown (if I remember right) wire. You can splice the body side of those wires together, or insert a paper clip to complete the circuit. This is what I did and it works great. Can't speak for how safe it is, but going on a year now and nothing has happened to mine.

Do a thread search, there is definitely a thread on this forum that has pictures to show you exactly how to do the paper clip trick.

There IS a possibility that the switch itself has corroded and needs to be re-soldered, but I'm betting it's the wire.

No idea on the sun roof, but I'm going to assume that's also broken-wire related. Chrysler used really low grade wire in XJ's.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4L

Originally Posted by 77olds
Yes, I know exactly why your passenger window is acting up and it's an extremely common problem.

Look at your master switch. See that little button that locks the windows so the passengers can't use them?

Well, chances are, the wire that leads from that button to the inside of the Jeep has broken, therefore leaving the circuit open, which is exactly what the switch does - and exactly why your passenger door switch no longer works. It's stuck in permanent lock-out.

There's a right way and an easy way to fix it.

Right Way:
Pull the rubber boot between the door and the body and find the broken wire, then repair/replace it.

Easy Way:
Pull the trim panel to the left of the brake pedal (or clutch if you have one) and look for a connector that has a yellow and brown (if I remember right) wire. You can splice the body side of those wires together, or insert a paper clip to complete the circuit. This is what I did and it works great. Can't speak for how safe it is, but going on a year now and nothing has happened to mine.

Do a thread search, there is definitely a thread on this forum that has pictures to show you exactly how to do the paper clip trick.

There IS a possibility that the switch itself has corroded and needs to be re-soldered, but I'm betting it's the wire.

No idea on the sun roof, but I'm going to assume that's also broken-wire related. Chrysler used really low grade wire in XJ's.

So i cut the rubber piece (too little room to just move it), and found some broken wires. I re connected them, and now my driver side speaker works . Then I took off the panel by the brake pedal and used a piece of wire instead of a paper clip for your "easy way", and all the windows work! Thanks a ton!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:21 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Yes, thank you.

I was able to fix my windows yesterday as well by bypassing the window lock.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:43 AM

Engine: 4.0

Great, glad to hear it worked for you guys. Now spread the word! I am sure this happens to almost every XJ with power windows out there, lol