Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Windows aren't working...

Old 04-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Power Windows aren't working...

i have a 96 cherokee classic im currently working on. i can't seem to get the power windows to work though.

I have tried the window switches on each door of the truck, but i can't get any of the windows to roll down...

i have recently did some work on the drivers door and had to remove the connection "block" from the back of the switch bank. i have another whole switch bank from another door i tried on it and still no luck. whats got me is none of the other door switches will do anything either though....

ideas??
Old 04-18-2010, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Fuse, relay or short somewhere. Do they work if you jump accros the plu terminals at the drive door. Is the lock out button pushed or shorted?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

What do you have power to?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 liter

check fuse's... check grounds... look for shorts.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:30 PM

i haven't started any wiring diagnosis yet. i just went around each door and tried the window switch at each door. i also had another complete switch bank from another drivers door i tried, nothing still there. i do have power locks though. they work off the drivers door and other door as well.

so this seems to be solely in the window system. i took the 30a circuit breaker from my parts jeep and swapped into #6 on the fuse panel under the dash, no change. is there a fuse somehwre else that i need to check? i don't see a fuse anywhere for the windows....

just seems odd the no doors are working at all for the windows...
Old 04-18-2010, 06:21 PM

I'm not sure on your truck, on grand cherokee, at the master switch is a tan wire, this is battery voltage. I'm troubleshooting a grand right now and have noticed that if I don't have the master plugged in nothing works. Also the black coming off the switch is chassis ground. Now when you test voltage on the other wires, voltage and ground will change on each one. Rots of ruck, pal.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:16 PM

nothings simple it seems. i just don't understand.....hmmm

i swapped doors on this truck due to the original being damaged. when i removed the door, i had to fish all the wiring and plugs out of the rubber boot hole in teh door of course. put new door on and fished them in to this one and hooked everything back up. i didn't pull the harness out of the actual body location grommet hole though, i just set it aside while i did my door work.

maybe i skinned a wire or something that is touching off on ground.... just seems odd though. i know they worked before i removed the door....

to the service manual i go..
Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Power Tech
Default Windows

Will the windows work (go up and down) from the master panel on the drivers door?
Old 04-18-2010, 09:26 PM

nope. not there or any of the other individual door switches will work. as in i can do to any door on the jeep and the switch on that door won't roll them down either..
Old 04-18-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the drivers side door controls all the other windows if there is something wrong with the "unit" if you want to call it none of the other windows will work
Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 PM

i was figuring on that. i switched out the master though with another from parts truck i have, no go on that either.......
Old 04-19-2010, 05:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I would start checking, where you added the newer harness. through the rubber sleeve (between body, and door) See if you have voltage there. Check both sides of the couplers, and work your way back to the door. (possible faulty coupler pin, or wire not attached to the pin any more. From handling) There's nothing worse, than a non-functioning car window. At a drive-thru. Good luck to you. JMO!
Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 AM

thats my plan tonight, to check out the couple that all the wires land into that plugs into back of switches. make sure the pins are all good and i got voltage where i should there. as you said...work backwards i guess. i had stupid stuff like this....haha
Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 PM

found my issue. i started tracking down the tan wire for constant power and didn't have any at connector block behind switches...found the tan in the rubber boot and no power there either... then tracked to black connector in kick panel area...had power here...so knew it was broke between. pulled the wiring out of the grommet on the kick panel area and started unwinding nasty electrical tape and loom. found where the tan was sliced/broke completely off and a few others had insulation sliced open... must have been from me pulled harness out of way and it seeing ssharp metal in there somewhere i guess. anywho...repaired and windows work again!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:18 AM

great news! grats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Windows aren't working...