Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power window issues 97 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Power window issues 97 XJ

My right side front window gets slow about a third of the way down. When you go back up with the window it yaws forward and you have to hold it back against the b pillar to get the window to go up. It goes slow though that third and then speeds up to the top. If you open the door the problem goes away and up and down with ease (but still slowish). I have lubed the **** out of everything with lithium and silicone. It gets better but within days is back at it again. Body shop tried to adjust the striker but said its not the problem...they say I need a regulator. Anyone seen this problem before?

Also, on my master window switch the lights in the mirror control are out unless you are pushing on a window switch then they come on. Also, the window lock is very touchy and will turn on with no warning and I have to fiddle with it to get it to work... I have had this happen on two different switches, one ending in part number AB and one in AC so they were changing something but must not have been this issue. Thoughts? I'm getting tired of rebuilding switches in this POS.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 09-30-2009, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

It is a common issue,as well as door locks,I have just replaced the regulator with another used one that I know is good. I take a battery to the jy and operate the windows until i find one that is good and fast,drill out the rivets and it is about $15.
You can also try and adjust the track to take some pressure of the regulator.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 PM
ema

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Abovetimberline is correct. Perhaps, changing the regulator would do it good. Here, I bet you'll find a window regulator at that site. But if replacing it still didn't work, try to troubleshoot, look for bad fuses, worn wires and bad grounding.There, hope it helps.