Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Steering Pump Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Power Steering Pump Failure?

About 3 days ago I noticed a slight knocking sound coming from the front end anytime the XJ was running. Yesterday it exacerbated itself and as I was pulling out of the driveway fluid began streaming out from somewhere near my power steering pump/reservoir. Before I go dump money into parts for a new pump and pulley, I just wanted to get you guys' opinion on it and make sure that I attack the right problem. If it is the power steering pump should I go ahead and replace the reservoir and pulley and belt at the same time?

Here is a video I recorded of it.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2015, 12:17 PM

Bump. Any ideas?
Old 04-16-2015, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Is the reservoir completely empty now? Like it all leaked out without it running also? Or only leaks while it's running?

Pumps aren't that expensive and they're easy to change. If it won't hold fluid and the noise gets worse then yeah I would change the pump and both lines.

If I saw right, it looked like the pulley itself was "jumping" kinda. If the pulley is still on good condition then I'd just keep it and put it on the new one. Just by the two new lines and pump/reservoir combo. Mine from Autozone ran me about $60 with a $15 core. Changed it out in under 30 minutes. Only needed a 15mm for the belt tensioner and 13mm for the 3 molts on the pump itself.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jooman07
Is the reservoir completely empty now? Like it all leaked out without it running also? Or only leaks while it's running?

Pumps aren't that expensive and they're easy to change. If it won't hold fluid and the noise gets worse then yeah I would change the pump and both lines.

If I saw right, it looked like the pulley itself was "jumping" kinda. If the pulley is still on good condition then I'd just keep it and put it on the new one. Just by the two new lines and pump/reservoir combo. Mine from Autozone ran me about $60 with a $15 core. Changed it out in under 30 minutes. Only needed a 15mm for the belt tensioner and 13mm for the 3 molts on the pump itself.
Thanks for the help!

It's not completely empty, but it does seem to leak more every time I turn the wheel. It doesn't leak while the engine is off though which would seem to indicate the leak is in the pump, no?

I'm a little confused as to what you mean about the pulley. I agree that it looks like the pulley is jumping. Wouldn't this mean that it is bad also and needs to be changed?
Old 04-16-2015, 03:40 PM

The bearings could be bad and cause it to do that on the shaft. You'll know more when you get it pulled off and inspect everything.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:41 PM

Also, follow the lines down to the gear box. If it's leaking when you turn the wheel make sure it's not actually leaking from the gear box instead. Mine was similar when I leaked.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I might first look for a vacuum leak, I hear a hiss. Next I might get it uber clean, and then watch closely for where the leak is. It might just be a hose connection.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:03 PM

Swapped out the power steering pump and pulley and the issue is resolved. The shaft that the pulley slides on to had lateral play (hence why the belt was jumping around) so I believe that's where the leak was coming from. The only thing now is an odd whining noise when I have the wheel at full lock, and it also sounds like it is trying to slow the belt down.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by volaticus
Swapped out the power steering pump and pulley and the issue is resolved. The shaft that the pulley slides on to had lateral play (hence why the belt was jumping around) so I believe that's where the leak was coming from. The only thing now is an odd whining noise when I have the wheel at full lock, and it also sounds like it is trying to slow the belt down.
The whining noise should quiet down over time. I just changed all my power steering components not too long ago and the whining was loud at the beginning but now it's starting to die down. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse or doesn't stop after a couple weeks.