Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Power Steering Box replacement options

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Power Steering Box replacement options

XJ is at 158K and for the last 6-8K it has deteriorated..wanders all over.

I figured it has to be the steering box. After spending reading time on forums ..I really don't want to do a Durango Box, I rather stick to the XJ box. But the problem, it seems that lots of people report issues with Reman boxes from CARDONE and NAPA. I just don't want to do the swap and a year later have issues again.. I wanted to get feedback on this ACDelco unit-anyone have direct experience? Thanks in advance.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...080&cc=1363384
Old 01-13-2014, 02:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Make sure it's the box first, there are 1001 other things that can cause wandering and loose steering.
Twist the steering box input shaft with one hand while feeling the pitman (output) with the other. Any input motion should translate to the output. If it doesn't, there are two adjustments you can make to compensate for wear. If the adjustments don't eliminate the slop, it's time for a new box.

People are going to report 'issues' with any brand remanufactured box because they are all remanufactured the same way. Going through 2-3 "remanufactured" steering gears before getting a good one is a way of life these days.

They strip the incoming assemblies into individual parts, check tolerances and put those to be re-used into bins. Then they reassemble the boxes using parts grabbed out of those parts bins.
You get a piece of this steering box, a piece of that steering box.... sometimes the tolerances stack up against you and you get a bad rebuild.
I've seen them come with the preload screw (on top) screwed all the way down into the box. Uhm....no thank you, those gears are beyond worn out. Incidentally that's a good thing to check for.
I don't believe NextSteer (formerly Saginaw) supplies replacement parts for these old boxes any longer, so a Delco rebuild is going to be the same as anyone else's.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

not trying to thread jack to much but i did replace my box recently it was from auto zone. everything is tight again only problem i have is that when i turn left or right there's a hard spot after a few degrees but after that its fine. anyone got any ideas of what it could be? should i return the box? I'm gonna double check to make sure there's no binding anywhere.

side-note: not sure who manufactured the box all i know is its from auto zone. so probably duralast
Old 01-13-2014, 09:14 AM

Year: 1999/1999

Originally Posted by Mendax13
not trying to thread jack to much but i did replace my box recently it was from auto zone. everything is tight again only problem i have is that when i turn left or right there's a hard spot after a few degrees but after that its fine. anyone got any ideas of what it could be? should i return the box? I'm gonna double check to make sure there's no binding anywhere.

side-note: not sure who manufactured the box all i know is its from auto zone. so probably duralast
Might have air bubbles, which can come from improper testing after replacement.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
Make sure it's the box first, there are 1001 other things that can cause wandering and loose steering.
Twist the steering box input shaft with one hand while feeling the pitman (output) with the other. Any input motion should translate to the output. If it doesn't, there are two adjustments you can make to compensate for wear. If the adjustments don't eliminate the slop, it's time for a new box.

People are going to report 'issues' with any brand remanufactured box because they are all remanufactured the same way. Going through 2-3 "remanufactured" steering gears before getting a good one is a way of life these days.

They strip the incoming assemblies into individual parts, check tolerances and put those to be re-used into bins. Then they reassemble the boxes using parts grabbed out of those parts bins.
You get a piece of this steering box, a piece of that steering box.... sometimes the tolerances stack up against you and you get a bad rebuild.
I've seen them come with the preload screw (on top) screwed all the way down into the box. Uhm....no thank you, those gears are beyond worn out. Incidentally that's a good thing to check for.
I don't believe NextSteer (formerly Saginaw) supplies replacement parts for these old boxes any longer, so a Delco rebuild is going to be the same as anyone else's.

I did try the adjustment nut when I first started to experience slop on the steering- if I go any further, the wheel does not return to center. It did give me a slight increase in firmness and the slop went away.but now its creeped back again.

What a bummer on these reman steering boxes- seems that no one cares for quality anymore. Even the PSC boxes have had issues.

Last edited by puredrive; 01-13-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

I didn't read all the other comments, but I've bought a steering box off of rock auto and a new brace/spacer plate from jcr and new bolts. Haven't had a problem with it yet.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by puredrive
I did try the adjustment nut when I first started to experience slop on the steering- if I go any further, the wheel does not return to center. It did give me a slight increase in firmness and the slop went away.but now its creeped back again.

What a bummer on these reman steering boxes- seems that no one cares for quality anymore. Even the PSC boxes have had issues.
Never answered if you actually checked all of your steering components. Have you checked?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

As you have found out, adjusting the preload only delays the inevitable.

In fact, it makes the box wear out faster.

I put an O'Reilly's reman box in my '97 Silverado last month. Nice and tight now.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 AM

What's wrong with the stronger Durango box? I thought it was pretty much bolt-in
Old 01-13-2014, 12:08 PM

Year: 1989

I agree with mendax13. I got a reman steering box from autozone over 8 months ago and mine is fine. Just the amount of change you're will to spend, but the reman, I have had no problems with
Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Demonoid369
Never answered if you actually checked all of your steering components. Have you checked?
Everything looks good. No play in any of the ball joints, everything is greased every 5K .

My plan is to decide on a box and replace all new components.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Mendax13
not trying to thread jack to much but i did replace my box recently it was from auto zone. everything is tight again only problem i have is that when i turn left or right there's a hard spot after a few degrees but after that its fine.
Disconnect the pitman arm and see if the binding is still there. If it isn't, it's something downstream of the steering box.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Disconnect the pitman arm and see if the binding is still there. If it isn't, it's something downstream of the steering box.
Brilliant! didn't even think of that. but will do when i look into it. thanks for the idea
Old 01-18-2014, 07:08 AM

I've been having issues with selling cardone units lately.. seems like their quality has gotten worse.. anyways adjusting the stud on the top is usually the last straw before the box gets replaced.. what about getting a new worm and sector shaft and a rebuild kit and do it yourself? can you even get box guts?

also the binding might not show up with nothing connected to the box as if its a sticking spool valve in the box you wont be able to see it unless there's a "load" on the box i would try dumping some lucas in the reservoir see if you can clean it up... also did you flush your ps system when ya did a new box? and duralast isnt an actual company.. its who ever can do it the cheapest.. last i checked.. i think it was atsco that did AZ's remans.. but who knows...
Old 01-18-2014, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Oddballmotorsports
can you even get box guts?
Nope. That's the problem. NexSteer (Saginaw) doesn't make them anymore and AFAIK the aftermarket never did.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Box replacement options