Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Possible transmission issues

Old 05-03-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l inline 6 stock
Default Possible transmission issues

Not sure of these symptoms. Drove my Jeep aprox 10 miles before I started shooting a large white cloud. The Jeep following me said it smelled like burning oil. Pulled over and had a large tranny fluid leak from around the engine oil pan, the tranny oil pan, and the near by areas. Hard to pin point the exact location due to the fluid being pushed back by the force of the wind at speeds.

Drove my Jeep back 10miles to my house. No white cloud. No leak(that I could tell). Everything seemed fine.

I'll post pictures ASAFP.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:23 PM

If it was me. I would wash everything off. Top of all fluids. After it dries drive for a mile or two. Stop and check. Repeat until you find a leak. If trans fluid was on the oil pan I would guess trans cooler lines. Maybe leak on trans cooler part of radiator. Or trans was over full and frothed out the dipstick Tube.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:44 PM

So these are the pictures I got. It's hard to tell being the pictures are off my phone, but hopefully you can make something out.
Attached Thumbnails Possible transmission issues-image-2275607718.jpg   Possible transmission issues-image-859806980.jpg   Possible transmission issues-image-3316495561.jpg   Possible transmission issues-image-3482020713.jpg  
Old 05-13-2014, 10:31 PM

Default Same here

Did you find the problem with the leak? I just bought a 1995 Cherokee yesterday and I had the exact same thing happen to me today. It spit out black fluid everywhere. I topped it off and drove 10 miles home with no leak.

There are only so many things that can leak selectively like this. It has me stumped. Is there an overflow of any kind on these transmissions? The fluid that leaked out was jet black which made me think it might have gotten hot. Can anything make these things overheat and push fluid out?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Joe
Old 05-14-2014, 12:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Blythewoodjoe
Can anything make these things overheat and push fluid out?
Sure. Puking fluid out the vent tube or dipstick isn't uncommon when they overheat. Check the fluid condition and level and verify that your trans cooler and connecting lines are functional. Wouldn't hurt to check trans pan temp with an IR thermometer after taking it for a drive.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Sure. Puking fluid out the vent tube or dipstick isn't uncommon when they overheat. Check the fluid condition and level and verify that your trans cooler and connecting lines are functional. Wouldn't hurt to check trans pan temp with an IR thermometer after taking it for a drive.
So there is a vent on the transmission? As far as an outside inspection of the cooling lines everything is all good. Suggestions as far as checking flow through?
Old 05-16-2014, 01:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gotsnowboards
So there is a vent on the transmission? As far as an outside inspection of the cooling lines everything is all good. Suggestions as far as checking flow through?
Yeah, the vent comes up to the firewall, it's a rubber hose with a vent cap on the end. Make sure it's clear and not blocked.
There isn't a real simple way to check flow through the cooler without disconnecting a line, but if they aren't leaking I'd leave well enough alone, provided everything looks good on the outside. Kinked/crushed cooler lines happen. Check the trans temp though, make sure it isn't running too hot. IR thermometer on the pan will work.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:31 AM

So had the same thing happen again as the OP today. Seems to only happen at high speed while sustaining 2500-3000rpms for long periods of time.