Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Possible Steering Box Issue?

Old 02-27-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Possible Steering Box Issue?

I have a 99 Cherokee Sport and I've replaced the TRE, ball joints, sway bar, track bar, and u-joints. After all this I'm still getting one popping sound when I turn to the right or left. Also when I'm in 4H, the steering is really bad. Turning to the left it feels like the tire is rubbing something but it's not. Turning to the left the Jeep will stop and go as I'm pressing the gas pedal. Is this the steering box or could it be something bigger?
Old 02-28-2014, 01:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like you might have a bad u-joint or other fault in one of the front axles. Certain nothing is rubbing when you turn?
The popping noise- have you checked the steering box mounting area for cracks? The steering linkage (from steering wheel to box) for slippage, particularly at the plastic joint near the steering box end?
Old 02-28-2014, 02:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

I had a similar issue with my 89 wayyyy back. I think it was as simple as the sway bar bushings. They were shot where they mount to the body and it was binding the whole steering up. If that doesn't work have you checked your transfer case? Is this going on in 4wd only?
Old 02-28-2014, 02:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Also with the jeep in 4wd, assuming its a np231, there will be binding if you are not on a slippery enough surface. The inside tire (in a turn) will "jump" and "pop".
Old 02-28-2014, 05:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

OP, you need to elaborate or 4wd type and usage. Because it sounds like your using part time 4wd on dry pavement which is a no no. As for the popping, did you change or grease the point at the pitman arm
Old 02-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
OP, you need to elaborate or 4wd type and usage. Because it sounds like your using part time 4wd on dry pavement which is a no no. As for the popping, did you change or grease the point at the pitman arm
Yes I was in part time because I was in the parking lot just checking it out. As far as the other parts, everything is new. TRE, ball joint, sway bar, track bar, the bushings everything. Just has the u-joints replaced yesterday.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by bigredlimited88
Also with the jeep in 4wd, assuming its a np231, there will be binding if you are not on a slippery enough surface. The inside tire (in a turn) will "jump" and "pop".
This sounds like what's going on. I was just checking it in the parking lot of my job and the jump and pop thing was what it was doing. This is the first Cherokee that I've owned and obviously it drives completely different from the Wrangler I had for years. It's hard to get that Wrangler point of reference out of my head.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Sounds like you might have a bad u-joint or other fault in one of the front axles. Certain nothing is rubbing when you turn?
The popping noise- have you checked the steering box mounting area for cracks? The steering linkage (from steering wheel to box) for slippage, particularly at the plastic joint near the steering box end?
I'll check that this weekend. I took a quick look at the steering box but was frustrated and not really paying attention to what I was looking at. I've had a day to relax so another look will probably reveal a little more.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Hold on. First off, never drive in part time on dry pavement or light snowed pavement unless slick. You could have screwed up your joints. And second, have you greased everything up front yet
Old 03-03-2014, 04:47 PM

Hold on. First off, never drive in part time on dry pavement or light snowed pavement unless slick. You could have screwed up your joints. And second, have you greased everything up front yet
While in part time I didn't drive anywhere. I was just in the parking lot. The only thing that's probably not greased is the bearings. I just recently replaced the track bar, sway bar, TRE, ball joints, u joints, as well as bushings.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:59 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Bmartee
While in part time I didn't drive anywhere. I was just in the parking lot. The only thing that's probably not greased is the bearings. I just recently replaced the track bar, sway bar, TRE, ball joints, u joints, as well as bushings.

If the vehichle is in movtion, then its driving. you dont have to be on a road to drive. Also..just because you bought new parts does not mean they are greased. if they are sealed and ungreasable then fine, otherwise you should practice greasing parts from a part store. they are cheap for a reason
Old 03-03-2014, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gimmy
If the vehichle is in movtion, then its driving. you dont have to be on a road to drive. Also..just because you bought new parts does not mean they are greased. if they are sealed and ungreasable then fine, otherwise you should practice greasing parts from a part store. they are cheap for a reason
The vehicle wasn't in motion. Hence the name parking lot. All the points where the new parts were replaced are greased. Still tracking down the noise, but it's not coming from the new parts.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

You changed the TRE on the drag link where it meets the pitman arm. Also, they new yes but are they greasable. Have you checked the spacer by the steering box
Old 03-03-2014, 11:40 PM

You changed the TRE on the drag link where it meets the pitman arm. Also, they new yes but are they greasable. Have you checked the spacer by the steering box
Yep all the points of contact are greased. I've been looking around the steering box but can't see anything that looks damaged. Doesn't look like it's cracked/leaking or anything. I know there's a hex screw on the top of the steering box that cleans up any slop in the steering...could too much slop cause it? There's probably a good 2 to 3 inches of play in the steering wheel.